Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/24/2004 9:28:30 AM EDT
This is the Saiga-12 conversion I just received from Elite Firearms.
Just got back from the range and I think I've finally found my shotgun! Fired nearly 100rds of WallyWorld low base loads plus 15rds of slug & 20rds of 00. The Saiga has a gas port with settings for low & magnum loads. It's recommended that the shotgun be thoroughly cleaned before firing (which I deliberately ignored for this test).
Many owners report that the shotgun shoots all loads reliably on the '1' (magnum) setting after a good cleaning and a couple of hundred rds of break-in so I wasn't surprised when mine wouldn't shoot the low base loads reliably on the magnum setting. I did have a few jams with the low base loads initially at the low base '2' setting but this cleared up and was 100% reliable at the '2' setting by the end of the range trip. Functioning w/slugs & 00 at the '1' setting was strictly %100, period.
Fast? I loaded up the 5rd mag and keeping an eye on the first empty was able to fire all 5 shots before the first empty hit the ground!
Sighted in the PK-AS at 50yds w/slugs and after that the PK-AS was just plain lethal on anything I aimed at! The circle in the reticle makes for *very* fast hits! At appx 10yds the circle in the PK-AS reticle exactly covers a B27 torso & Federal Premium 00 patterns right in the center, maybe covering 40% of the torso. Very fast setup using my *left* eye the entire time. Found an interesting use for the PK-AS elevation adjustment wheel: When sighted in for slugs to hit dead-on at 50yds, 00 hits several inches low from POA when fired from 10yds. The solution? If I leave the elevation wheel set to '0' then I'm dead on w/slugs at 50yds and if I set it to '10' (takes all of 2 seconds to make the adjustment) then I'm dead-on w/00.
Recoil: Took my M65 field jacked off (it was about 40F at the range) and fired first 15rds of 00 then 10rds of slug w/no recoil pad on the Romy folder & only a t-shirt between my shoulder & the folder. While I felt the recoil on my cheek it didn't hurt, irritate or bruise my cheek. 00 was tolerable on the shoulder & slugs were very stout, would probably prove painful if I fired many more of these than I did (shoulder does have just a touch of tenderness & shows a little surface hemorrahging). With the M65 you knew you were firing 00/slugs but there was no discomfort at all, I think using the Bulgarian strap-on AK recoil pad would produce the same effect.
My *only* complaint about the Saiga-12 (aside from the cost of 8rd mags) is that inserting loaded mags on a closed bolt can be an exercise in frustration (nothing like the quick & easy "rock & lock" of the std AK) but I've heard it gets better w/practice and as the mags wear in. I'll give it a thorough cleaning and test how it performs w/the low base cheap stuff again.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the report!  I'm starting to get a real urge for a Saiga12!  I have a couple of questions.

I have a PK-AV mounted on a SA85M right now, and I'm thinking that it would serve better on a Saiga12.  Did the zero seem to hold on you AS under the slug recoil?  Does it come out of the box with the side plate mount?

How hard are the mags to find right now?  What's the going rate for the 5s and the 8s?  Any chance they'll be imported in any quantity?

Any way to get an AK style iron sight set-up on one?  I saw pictures on one of the web sites, looked neat.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:25:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I must say Tomac, that looks really good.

Of course, looks are not everything.

Sounds like it performs as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the report!  I'm starting to get a real urge for a Saiga12!  I have a couple of questions.
I have a PK-AV mounted on a SA85M right now, and I'm thinking that it would serve better on a Saiga12.  Did the zero seem to hold on you AS under the slug recoil?  Does it come out of the box with the side plate mount?
How hard are the mags to find right now?  What's the going rate for the 5s and the 8s?  Any chance they'll be imported in any quantity?
Any way to get an AK style iron sight set-up on one?  I saw pictures on one of the web sites, looked neat.
Thanks again!

Hey, Jeepster...
Zero on the PK-AS seems good, had no problems pounding the black at 50m using slugs. Not surprising when you consider the PK-AS windage/elevation adjustment mechanism (massive steel bolts), I have no worries about it holding zero. Batteries, wiring, switch & red dot *should* be okay but only time will tell if they can take a prolonged 12ga beating! The Saiga-12 comes out of the box w/an optics siderail, my PK-AS went on w/o problem. Best price I've seen for the 5rd mags is $24 and 8rd mags (so far only available from overseas vendors) are running $80+(!) and I haven't heard of anyone planning to bring them in any quantity. I hear Krebs is working on a clamp-on AK-style front sight but nothing for the rear resembling the std AK leaf setup (not terribly important to me since the irons are backup-only for the PK-AS).
Tomac
PS- Decided to order another Saiga-12 conversion today to put back for my son!...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:34:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Very cool, wonder how long til the ATF makes you register that as a Destructive Device (non-sporting firearm with over .50" bore) ala Striker-12 / USAS .
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Very cool, wonder how long til the ATF makes you register that as a Destructive Device (non-sporting firearm with over .50" bore) ala Striker-12 / USAS .

Which is exactly why I'm ordering another one today...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks again!

Hey, Jeepster...
Zero on the PK-AS seems good, had not problems pounding the black at 50m using slugs. Not surprising when you consider the PK-AS windage/elevation adjustment mechanism (massive steel bolts), I have no worries about it holding zero. Batteries, wiring, switch & red dot *should* be okay but only time will tell if they can take a prolonged 12ga beating! The Saiga-12 comes out of the box w/an optics siderail, my PK-AS went on w/o problem. Best price I've seen for the 5rd mags is $24 and 8rd mags (so far only available from overseas vendors) are running $80+(!) and I haven't heard of anyone planning to bring them in any quantity. I hear Krebs is working on a clamp-on AK-style front sight but nothing for the rear resembling the std AK leaf setup (not terribly important to me since the irons are backup-only for the PK-AS).
Tomac
PS- Decided to order another Saiga-12 conversion today to put back for my son!...

Thanks for the reply!  I can't wait to get my cash situation straightened out so I can get one.  I could live with the 5 round mags.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you post a pic of the trigger guard?  I'd like to see how they are handling the conversion/parts/riveting.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can you post a pic of the trigger guard?  I'd like to see how they are handling the conversion/parts/riveting.
take care,
Tec

Hey, Tec...
I'll try to post a pic this weekend. Just now looked it over and the front of the trigger guard appears to be welded (can't see the rear due to the pistol grip), the safety lever stop appears to be riveted and the conversion holes were tapped & covered w/hex-head screws. HTH...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:53:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Very cool!!!

Assuming it needs 5 US parts, hts/pistol grip and _______?

Due to the shotty's design it only needs 4 US parts: fcg & pistol grip in my case.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#12]
So what all parts did you replace(for compliance), I want to get a saiga but I want a folding stock on it.
Answered never mind
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top