Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/26/2004 12:05:29 AM EDT

With anywhere from 5 to 7 rounds left in the magazine my VEPR K .223 will eject the next LIVE round out with the spent brass from the shot just fired. Then the bolt closes on an empty chamber.

I have no idea how this is happening or what is the cause. It happens with a variety of magazines and occurs about 50% of the time with any given magazine.

Nothing looks out of whack to my untrained eye. It has been this way since I got the rifle over a year ago. I was hoping the problem would go away on its own.  No such luck.

My usual ammo is XM193 or Q3131A.

What say the AK gurus?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Definately sounds like a mag issue.  When the bolt moves back, the next round must hop up and jump the feed lips.  I've played around with some 7.62x39 in M16 mags and they do the same thing.  Are you using 5.45 mags for the 5.56 ammo?  If so, that might be part of the problem.  You could try using some Galil orlites and see if those helps any.  If it isn't the mag, I don't know what could be causing it.  Odd.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#2]
... With a half loaded mag, give it a fairly smart rap to the floor-plate on a piece of wood (opposite the direction you would load into mag well).

... If the cartridges fly out, it's almost certainly a magazine feeding lip problem
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]

I fired 120 rounds today rotating 2 Bulgarian waffles and a RobArms modified AK74 mag every 10 rounds.

I got one malfunction with a Bulgarian mag. When the third to last shot was fired the second to last round flew out also, leaving an empty chamber and one round left in the magazine.

That's all for now.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Galil 5.56 mags don't count as standard?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#7]

The VEPR is built on an RPK receiver.

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top