Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 11:31:01 AM EDT
Which piston should I use for replacing the factory one on my Saiga MK? The only reason for replecement is that the cleaning grooves are not present on my saiga piston. Ćost of new piston is equal, or less than work of the smith , therefore I rather order new one, but which one I should choose? AK-47/AKM, or AK-74? What is the dimensional difference between AKM and AK-74 pistons?

Many thanks, RB
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Its a standard length AK 74gas piston.

You should be able to order a new DDR one from Germany if you really want to replace it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you Stottman.
BTW- I have no contact to any AK source in Germany, therefore it is ironically easiest (and in many cases cheapest) to order it from the US.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont know if they can ship to Czech, but try this guy-
[email protected]

Speaks English and very friendly. He stocks the Izhmash rifles, so he should be able to help you.

If he doesnt have it, then-

Its in German, but-

www.cds-ehrenreich.de/

Direct to the page you want-
www.cds-ehrenreich.de/zubehoer/ak74nt.htm

The piece you want is "Gaskolben "

They speak English, but not very friendly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:31:39 AM EDT
[#5]
OK, thanks again gentlemen! AK-74 piston it is and I will give a try to Michael. Maybe he will even have the current polymer AK100 magazines and some other goodies I want to dress up my Saiga :)
RB
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#6]
He might have some of that stuff. He should be able to get the Polymer 30rd mags for 7.62. They are specially built for the Saiga. They are 30rd mag bodies but are blocked to 10rds. This block is easily removed. The German importer is expensive though. About 65 Euros. You can try trapper-industries in England (do a google search). They sell them for around $40 US.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Speaking of the polymer 30 rnd magazines, I decided to convert my Saiga to accept the regular AK spec magazine, so I have more choices and cheaper magazines. I am afraid, that aftes such conversion, the Saiga spec magazines will be useless. Therfore I am looking for few of the real AK-103 magazines to complement the look of this AK-103 look-alike Saiga.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Then you can just modify the Saiga magazines. Not a problem. Despite what anyone says, 99% of the "real AK103" on the US market are modified Saiga mags. The real factory AK103 mags are almost impossible to find in the west. Izhmash wont export them to civilian markets.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, short update on AK-103 (and other AK100 series) gas piston. I inqured Tantal about that part and he replied to me, that the 100 series is using the full head (non grooved) piston, the same which is used on Saiga MK. I thought it might be interesting for others too...
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top