Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2004 10:56:37 AM EDT
I finally got my VEPR delivered to my FFL today.  Upon picking it up, I found it to be pretty heavy compared to the garden variety AK clone.  Wave and I then headed out to the range for some testing to make sure it functioned perfectly.  

With Wolf copper jacketed HP's, it gave in to 4" groups on a bipod at 100 yards with open sights and my bad eyes.  I was TRULY impressed, especially after seeing how other AK's have performed.  

Now, I'm going for a set of optics, does anyone have POSP recommendations?  Are these scopes any good or should I save more for a Leupold 3-9x40 tactical and a mount?  Its a $150 difference, but atleast it'd be a leupold on it.  Thoughts?

Also, does anyone have any location for a dust cover mounted peep sight ala AR15 style that would go onto my rifle?  These sights seriously suck for me, even though this rear sight is THE BEST I've ever seen on an AK.

Oh yeah, here are some pics of the rifle and with me in the driver's seat.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2004 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Did it come with the bipod or did you add that yourself?
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I added it.  This is what came with it, check the auction:
This is the definition of good deal
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Balzac- Have you installed the RSA trigger yet?  I am wondering how much of a difference it would make.  The triggers on my Veprs are OK, but not match grade by any means.

JH94
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Balzac- Have you installed the RSA trigger yet?  I am wondering how much of a difference it would make.  The triggers on my Veprs are OK, but not match grade by any means.

JH94

I like the Vepr trigger so much, I'm not going to install the RSA in it.  The only issue I have with it is a long take up and a very sensitive break.  With the recoil of this thing, its difficult to work the trigger for fast follow ups without it ADing.  The RSA wouldn't do much to alleviate that, plus, to use it in the Vepr, you have to alter it with a dremel.  Since I plan on an AK74 next, i'm just going to save it.

I'm surprised you don't like the Vepr trigger though.  Its really nice compared to any other AK trigger I've seen.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Was looking at these the other day, but the only thing that turned me off was finding out that it didn't have a crome barrel like the standard AK's. This means that if you use the cheap Wolf steel ammo in it that it will run a muck on your barrel, which wouldn't be good for such a great gun with a hefty price tag. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think if I got this I would have to buy brass 7.62x39...Which is more expensive I think, unless someone knows where I can cheap some for relativly cheap.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#9]

The person at the gunshop told me that they didn't maybe he was mistaken, I don't mean the bullets themselves I mean the cases which are made of steel. They work wonders on non-Chrome barrels, as people with AR-15s and other guns found out when they ran steel cased ammo through.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey, Balzac, If you don't mind my asking: What range were those pics taken at?
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The person at the gunshop told me that they didn't maybe he was mistaken, I don't mean the bullets themselves I mean the cases which are made of steel. They work wonders on non-Chrome barrels, as people with AR-15s and other guns found out when they ran steel cased ammo through.

www.robarm.com/

Straight from the importers mouth.

Hammer forged, chrome-lined barrels on all VEPRs. Just like all other quality Izmash rifles.

Edit to add:
How would anyone in their right mind (the manufacturer in this case) make a rifle which can't take the materials used in the only available ammunition for their weapons caliber?
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Pine Barrens
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pine Barrens

Is it really that good? (seriously considering a membership)

I'd really like to check these guys out. Can a non-member shoot their 3-gun match?
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can see a steel case doing damage to a match grade target barrel, like using Wolf 223 in a DCM gun, but if you have a regular barrel (non-match) I don't see how steel cased ammo would do much harm.  Old steel cased ammo has a laquer coating that protects the chamber from direct contact, and the new polymer coating on Wolf ammo is fantastic.  It might wear your chamber a bit faster, like instead of getting 100 000 rounds out of a barrel you only get 99 000.

But chrome is HARD and the steel is SOFT.  I don't think it's an issue for 7.62x39 guns AT ALL

Yep...
Otherwise the Russians wouldn't have used steel casings! Or atleast would have started chrome-lining barrels sooner.
That SKS (except some PolyTech and Norinco) you all feed 'shitty' wolf ammo to is NOT chrome lined. Any questions?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:06:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Why would it be a problem to use steel casings in a non-chrome line bore? The casing does not go through the bore, the bullet is the projectile that zings through it.

The VEPRs all have hammer forged barrels with chrome lined bores and chambers.

Most Russian ammo consists of steel casings with steel/lead bullets that are copper washed. Domestic 7.62x39 uses brass casings with a full copper jacket + lead core.

My VEPR K in 7.62x39 chews up all kinds of ammo: from Winchester to Wolf, w/o any problems.

The bore is also 0.310"-0.313" just FYI.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top