AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/6/2004 3:31:30 AM EDT
Just for pipe dreams at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
For your further consideration, here is what I call a "Saigunov" --

It's the "21st Century" Dragunov look, with a PG conversion of the long barrel 308 Saiga.  I got the stock off of a trader board and recently added the 6 x 42 PSO scope.

I have five standard .308 Saiga mags that I cut and chamfered the followers and floorplate keeper legs so that 10 rds fit the mag instead of the standard eight.  Easier to count rounds with 10 per mag.

A welded-on MB is in the works, but I haven't decided on the style and will likely wait until after the middle of September at this point.

My performance experience with this rifle mirrors that of MRW's; using Aussie F4 I can hit 2.0 MOA or less all day.

I highly recommend the 308 Saiga, especially if you plan on a PG or Drag-like conversion.  Less expensive than both the FAL and Romak III (WAY less than the latter), uses the same plentiful 308/7.62 ammo as the FAL.  Same mag capacity as the Romak, but half the mag cap of the FAL.  The Saiga has a lot going for it.

Noah
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I swear I even saw a pic of a .308 Saiga that a guy fit the FPK handguards to it. Would it be major surgery to do? It looked really nice.....but then the Saiga with pistoll grip and regular buttstock kinda look a bit HK to me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Noah,

Can you tell us the steps you took for this conversion?  

I saw a 16" this weekend, and I'm thinking it would look really wicked with that Druganov stock on it.

Also, what FCG did you use?  I was reading on www.akfiles.com that the disconnector? was different from the standard AK FCG.

Something like this would make a cool brush gun:

(I hope you don't mind the edit)
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
TXN:

It is a standard Saiga conversion, nothing special, with the Choate stock as MRW mentioned.  The Saiga PG conversion process has been written up very well elsewhere so I won't repeat it.   Some details:

Red Star FCG

Choate Drag stock

6x42 PSO scope with Saiga-compatible mount

Magazine followers and floorplate keeper spring giude legs trimmed to allow 10 rd capacity

HTH:

Noah

Link Posted: 6/9/2004 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome Noah. Did you do the whole PG conversion yourself? How is the recoil on the Saiga .308? I just got one last weekend and have not been to the range yet. I would love to clone what you have done to yours. VERY nice.
Link Posted: 6/10/2004 3:34:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Anykey:

Yes, I did this .308 conversion and two .223 conversions so far.  But I have the tools and experience to do it and it's no big deal.  A die grinder (Dremel), some stones for it, and a drill press help.  

The recoil is there, but it is more of a low-impulse "push" typical of gas-operated 30-caliber weapons.  IF you scope it, do not place you eye against the rubber eyepiece cup, but get a cheek weld a couple inches away and sacrifice the field of view so that the rubber cup doesn't strike you in the eye.  Ask me how I know this.  

Noah
Link Posted: 6/10/2004 5:28:05 AM EDT
[#11]
So what would be involved in using RPK or PSL furniture? <----Thinking for the 22" 308. Although I think using a OD green 74 stock and painting the original hardguard to match would look very nice as well, in that case I would probably go with the 16" 308...........Like I said just pipe dreaming at the moment I have two other projects that are already in their beginnings........Taipan
Link Posted: 6/17/2004 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#12]
that Saiganov is exactly what I was thinking of a few months ago.  Will have to keep my eye open for a good price on a used .308 Saiga now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Woohoo!!  Got my 16" today!  
Link Posted: 6/23/2004 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2004 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, this conversion looks like it is going to be really easy.

I looked at http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion, and it seems the good folks in Russia have made this model much easier.  The FCG is held in with normal pins in the normal AK position.  The only drilling I will have to do will be the rivets that hold the trigger guard in place.  The hole for the pistol grip is already punched, too.

The down side is that there not enough barrel in front of the sight to mount a muzzle break in the normal ways.  I guess I'll have one welded on?

Link Posted: 6/25/2004 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 1:17:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Would it be easier to change out the FSB and thread the barrel? I was thinking of a nice fancy flash hider after the ban dies.
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#18]
It probably would be easier, except my FSB looks like it is welded to the barrel at the muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
For your further consideration, here is what I call a "Saigunov" --

Noah

Noah,
That is slicker than gravy on A deck of cards.
Link Posted: 7/15/2004 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I came pretty close to my earlier post, didn't I?

This is Sasha, which means Defnder of Man.
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice Job TXN.
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks.

I am in love with this rifle.  I can't wait to take her out and see how she runs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I spent right at $450 alltogether, not counting scope, mount, and new Dremel bit for the spot welds

Rifle - $310 shipped, FFL, tax (from CDNN)
RedStar FCG + Retention Plate - $75 shipped (EE)
Choate Stock Set - $60 shipped (Ulitmak)
8-32 stainless bolts & nuts - $1.85 (Home Depot)

That should get me down to 10 foreign parts by my count.  You could do this for under $400 if you use a GT FCG and don't live in Texas (tax on rifle).

I haven't refinished the bottom of the receiver yet, however.  I'm just going to paint it.  I used some Tester's enamel to touch up a scratch, and it matched pretty well.  The momentum forced me to complete the assembly without painting the bottom.  

As for the trigger guard, I cut off the end of the tab that held the bottom stock screw, turned it around, and pressed the remanents of that tab under the mag catch.  I then used wire ties and a large C-clamp to squeeze the new rear of the trigger guard into position so I could put the bolt through the receiver and add the nut.  I used blue Loctite on the threads of the nut to keep it from backing out any time soon.  The fact that the trigger guard has to be compressed over 1/4" makes it very solid.

Finally, it is an OKO model W that I also got off the EE.  It's a neat little scope, but I'm definately going to add the Choate cheek rest in the near future.  I'm also already thinking I might to replace the OKO with a 6x24 PSOP.  Maybe coupled with a rear peep sight for close-in work.  We'll see.  It's staying this way for the time being.

I highly recommend the RSA retention plate.  The BHO spring was bad enough to put back in, so I cannot imagine reusing the shephard's crook.  Blah.  That thing is a royal PITA to remove.  

Unfortunately, family obligations will keep me from testing her out until Monday or so.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:42:02 AM EDT
[#25]
TXN:

So how does it shoot?  As nice as it looks?  You did a great job on the conversion!

Update on the Saigunov:  Now that I am more accustomed to the trigger and the right eye relief with the scope, I can consistently shoot 1.5 MOA with Aussie F4.  I also lucked into 5 308 mags at a semi-local dealer who sold them to me for $90 OTD.  That makes eight mags total.  Good to go.

Noah
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I was making approx 1"-3" 5-shot groups at 25 yards rapid fire.  Unfortunately, my 100yd groups sucked, but I feel that is more an issue of my eyes + no magnification.  I have a PSOP 6x42 on the way from Freedom Optics, so I'll let you know in a week.

BTW, that 1" group had 4 of 5 touching.

I figured that was pretty good for as fast as I could pull the trigger.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#27]
That is pretty good for rapit fire.  

Thanks, and good luck with the scope.

Noah

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top