Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 7:54:10 AM EDT
I recently found a saiga 7.62x39 at a pawn shop for $249. My question is, do you guys think it would be worth getting it? It looks to be in good shape(70% or better) but it doesnt have a magazine. Also, how easy is it to convert to AK mags, because I already have an SAR-1 with more than enough mags for both rifles.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought the Saiga 7.62x39mm rifles used AK mags without modification...

No?  Okay, NO.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:39:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats what I thought at first to, but after looking up the specs for it I found that they need thier own kind of magazines. And like I was saying before, the rifle does not come with any mags.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I appears I was mistaken!

Here's a thread on another board on this very subject:

www.perfectunion.com/forums/index.php?s=2f42f966254c56f145aa48fa5da09ad1&showtopic=4413&st=0&#entry24317
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The Saiga's are great rifles, they are much more accurate then the Romanian SARs and have a much better finish plus they're built around a quality Russian receiver.

But....

That is a horrible price on them. You should be able to find them new in box for around 200 online and at Gunshows. That's with a mag.

You also can legally modify them to take AK mags without converting the receiver. Just file the mag catch and mine takes all AK mags and feeds reliably without a feed ramp.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the links HardShell. Still debating on wether or not to get it. There was a bolt on the bottom side of the reciever underneath the barrel, which could posibly be the bolt holding in the feed ramp. That would be good if it was alredy converted to hi caps. Ill have to go back and check, maby the clerks will let me try one of my AK mags in it, to see if it fits.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]
$159.99 in the hunting rifle configuration at cdnninvestments.com

Needs a bit of work for hicaps, along with parts count issues that open. Fine project gun (just got a 223 model myself) but not at that price well used IMO.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]
As long as you don't put a pistol grip on it you can file the mag catch to accept full caps without putting any US parts in it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#9]
In addition to filing the mag catch, you'd also have to add a feed ramp.  Like others have said, that price is way high - $160 from CDNN, so with shipping and transfer fees, you should be looking at $200 tops - and I wouldn't pay any more than that locally.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In addition to filing the mag catch, you'd also have to add a feed ramp.  Like others have said, that price is way high - $160 from CDNN, so with shipping and transfer fees, you should be looking at $200 tops - and I wouldn't pay any more than that locally.

So far mine has fed reliably with Chinese and Romanian mags without a feedramp. Take it for what it's worth. I've also heard the same result from a few other Saiga owners.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Condition looks good. It was obviousely used quite a bit, but well taken care of, but at that price. Especialy if I can get it for around $200 new. I think I might have to go with one of the Baretta 92's the have there for $350. Thanks for all the help guys.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
As long as you don't put a pistol grip on it you can file the mag catch to accept full caps without putting any US parts in it.

Not true- Imported rifles are forbidden to accept mags in excess of 10 rounds.  That's why you see all the unmodified single stack Rominian AKs in the country.  To legally convert to accept high cap mags, you must convert the gun to a "US" made rifle by adding enough US parts to get the total imported parts count down to 10.

not that any LEO would have a stinking clue about that, but if the BATF got ahold of the rifle you'd be in trouble.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top