Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/29/2002 1:25:20 AM EDT
So what is the consensus on the Izhmash Arsenal snub-nose AKs that are offered by the likes of SOG? Is this a good quality AK?  Any reasons not to consider this as a purchase?

TIA,

- Snacko
Link Posted: 12/3/2002 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I also want to know what all the "AK people" think about this Izhmash Arsenal. I just put a Hesse Arms M47, in 7.62 x 39, on lay-away (got too many things to buy for Christmas to get it now) at my local gun shop. I'm a "CAR15/M4" man myself but I wanted to buy an AK. Never owned one and wanted to have one to shoot and learn more about them. I have 3 basic questions;

1. The shop owner said this rifle was made by the same manufactor that made the currrent Russian Military issued AKs? Is that true?

2. He also said that the M47 is basically the same rifle the Russian Special Forces are carrying? Is that true?

It was a nice feeling rifle and he had a Romainian AK there also but he acted like the fact that this one was made in Russia was a big deal.

3. He said that Izhmash was like our Colt or FN? Is that true? I dont know dittle squat about AKs. All help is greatly appriciated!!

DoorKicker6
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 4:00:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, here's my 2 cents . . .
I have a Hesse/Saiga/Izhmash AK 47 (7.62 caliber).  Feed ramp was added, so any standard 30 round mag will work.  I have read that some of the Hesse rifles are "welded" together, but my is riveted together.  And, it also has a chrome-lined gas block, something I had not seen before.  Muzzle brake was welded to the front sight base, and welds are very well done.  Finish was not the best, so sprayed it with Aluma-Hyde II ( have had very good luck with Aluma-Hyde II in the past).  This rifle has burned up a BUNCH of ammo in the last year, and never any problems.  Installed a MoJo rear sight a month or so ago, and am very happy with that too.  After seeing the "failure rate" of the 5.56 round at the local steel plate shoot, will use this rifle next year for the shoots.  Hope this helps  ! !    
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
BeeBee2 - thanks for the info.  Question: you mention that "a feed ramp was added".  Is this something you did or something that was done during manufacture/reconfig?

Thanks,

- Snacko
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
to my knowledge, Hesse installs a feed ramp in all their conversions.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Hello Snacko,

The feed ramp was added by Hesse. A small "bead" of weld on each side of the ramp.  Like I said about the muzzle brake, welds are VERY well done. And I forgot -- has black poly  U.S. made furniture. Overall, since I re-finished the rifle, it looks very good  ! !  My 12 year old son took this rifle to BulletFest this year (hear that Campy  ! ) and burned up a bunch of ammo -- ZERO problems.  One word of advise however:   I would never buy a rifle worked on by Hesse unless I could inspect the exact rifle I was going to buy.  Hope this helps  ! !
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#8]
You saying this is good or bad ?

Looks yuk to me.

Those rifles look nice on the outside.

I was thinking of getting one ...but

I've been told that the Izhmash rifles with regular looking AK furniture were not modified by Hesse - don't know if this is true or not
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
ALL Izhmash rifles look like this when imported

Some have wood stocks and some have shorter barrels, but they all take special 10 round mags and all have a reworked trigger group and have hunting style stocks.

The high capacity pistol gripped rifles are all reworks of some kind.  Some are good, some are questionable.  I've heard reports that the Hesse conversions are okay, even if a bit rough on the inside.  Hesse doesn't touch the action.  the best seems to be done by Chris at AK-USA
www.ak-103.com

mine is not bad!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=52693
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top