Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/8/2015 9:51:40 AM EDT
Well, up to now, I have been very happy with my "California featureless" hybrid Saiga.  

Then I was talking to my best friend yesterday. About four years ago, I sold him my last Saiga I restored that I called "plum crazy."

He put a Tapco Timbersmith set on it, and did not use the kydex paddle, preferring to use a radlock bullet button and 10 rounders. He asked me if I wanted the K-Var Nato length plum stock set, including Solar Tactical paddle back.  I said Hell Yes!!!!!  Of course, I am buying him lunch at a restaurant of his choice.

So today I ordered a Tapco G2 double hook FCG and a CSS bolt on handguard retainer. I already have a standard AK vented gas tube for the restoration.  Life is good.  The only difference from the one pictured above (the one I sold him back then) is that I am not replacing the FSB with a 24mm one and AK103 brake.  I much prefer the Tactical Tri-Delta brake I have on it now.

I might add, this is the 5th or 6th Saiga I have restored in the last 8 or 9 years....  It is a disease!
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Started restoration.  Receiver stripped (rear trigger plate assembly removed), innards stripped down, and cut for double hook FCG. Then primed with Rustoleum auto primer, and given a couple coats of Rustoleum semi-gloss black.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Now I feel silly.  First, remember that I sold this to my buddy more than four years ago, and that it was the 5th saiga I did in a short period of time.

When he asked if I wanted my "plum stock set" back, I assumed it was the Plum K-Var set. Later, when we were making plans for lunch, it dawned on me that I also had what I believe to be an actual Russian red (plum) wood stock set back then, which I forgot about.  I asked him today if it was plum wood or plum K-Var plastic.  Here is the answer.

I have an original Russian bakelite grip to go with it!  Now I am really stoked!  This will be much cooler than a K-Var plastic set.  My 922 is OK, already: Tapco G2 FCG +3, Tapco pistol +1, US made brake +1, US made followers +1.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#3]
in for pics
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
FCG and pistol grip nut/screw coming from eCop, Handguard retainer coming from Carolina Shooter Supply, and picking up stock set Tuesday at lunch.  I already modded the receiver for the double hook FCG.  Just need to slap it all together!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, it showed up today (a week for priority mail).  It was showing in Dallas this morning, but amazingly it was in Northern CA at 1 pm>  Oh well, at least I got it, even if it is 4 or 5 days late.  At least it is not MIA like two other packages I am waiting on for the last two weeks...

Now the problem is my days off are gone, and it will be next week when I can finish it.

Haha!  My wife decided she had to run to town instead of us working on the chicken coop and yard.  So.... I put it all together.  I didn't bother with the bolt hold open right now.  I still have the modified Tapco hammer for it, just did not want to screw with it and cutting the latch down.  i'll do that on a rainy day!  
Pics coming when I can take some daylight pics to do it justice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FCG and pistol grip nut/screw coming from eCop, Handguard retainer coming from Carolina Shooter Supply, and picking up stock set Tuesday at lunch.  I already modded the receiver for the double hook FCG.  Just need to slap it all together!
View Quote

I have bought a bunch of stuff from eCop, great vendor!

Just curious, why convert receiver to double-hook? Seems much better to run a double hook in a single hook receiver, and mod the second hook both to work and to use as an overtravel limiter.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I just really like the idea of the redundancy of the double hook.  Modifying wasn't hard.  Drill a hole at the end of where the cut out would be, then used a dremel cut off wheel to cut the area in between.  Touch it up with a small file, and it's done.  I ran a double hook modified like you said before I did the conversion when the Saiga was stock.  Cut the trigger off the bottom, and modded the bottom of the 2nd hook.

And yes, ecop is a great vendor.  That's where I always find the best buy on holsters and duty gear.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
damn I kinda want an AK now
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
damn I kinda want an AK now
View Quote

Wait until you see pics!  I did a "really purtty" retro build with the plum wood AKM furniture and a brown Bakelite grip.  The only modern touch is the Tactical Tri-Delta break I left on it.  It works EXCELLENT in conjunction with the Buffer Technologies black recoil buffer.  REALLY tames the 7.62x39.  Like shooting a 5.56 now....
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top