BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/23/2012 12:19:33 AM EDT
style='font-size: 12pt;']Just received (Christmas is getting merrier!): Definitive Arms (ARFCOM Business Member) complete-build Saiga .223 with their proprietary AR mag well with LRBHO.

(Disclaimer: this thread started as my PERSONAL review of Definitive Arms conversion).

(I know, my picture-taking skills sucks, but superior quality cannot be distorted and is shining through).
Major upgrades will follow soon, but the CORE (PG conversion, LRBHO AR mag well adapter, barrel threading) is strong and beautifully executed.
Leatherwood 1-4x CMT red dot is eagerly awaiting MI AK 30 mm scope mount's arrival.
Product line site: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_531/224725_Definitive_Arms_AK_conversions__Last_Round_Bolt_Hold_Open_using_AR15_Magazines.html
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
[/span]

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/SgtRaven/AKAR-DA_5s_zpsb240bd34.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/SgtRaven/AKAR-DA_3s_zps421f7e88.jpg

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/SgtRaven/AKAR-DA_2s_zps1bfd15ce.jpg
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2012 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
looks good.  bird cage looks good,  magwell looks cool.  original foregrip looks good.  pass for this Saiga.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet !  Nice work.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Any chance you could take pic a of the mag well from the top and bottom?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any chance you could take pic a of the mag well from the top and bottom?

I am not in technical photography (that's obvious), so here is a bottom-side reference picture.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/SgtRaven/DSC_0349_zps3352b44c.jpg

Speaking of top, let me check with Definitive Arms, since their pictures are superior to my skill-less snapping.

MAC (Member here) snapped preliminary video (credits: Military Arms Channel); hope that helps:

http://youtu.be/X02C1fRAPM4
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I am really just looking to see how the front trunion looks, since they cut some of that out.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:32:07 AM EDT
[#7]
With added Fuglystick handguard (custom pattern) and Harris bipod.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b537/SgtRaven/DSC_0352s_zps4a6e611b.jpg
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Neat little space gun you got there.
Say, the Fugly Stick handguards are news to me.
I read on their website (Google is my friend afterall) that they currently only make handguards for the Saiga shotguns and that they are "working on" handguards for the rifles.

Did you have to modify this handguard at all to fit your rifle?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neat little space gun you got there.
Say, the Fugly Stick handguards are news to me.
I read on their website (Google is my friend afterall) that they currently only make handguards for the Saiga shotguns and that they are "working on" handguards for the rifles.

Did you have to modify this handguard at all to fit your rifle?

Thanks in advance.

No, it fits like a glove on .223, 5.45 and so the 7.62 Saigas.
I just checked the site and it appears it's the same as it was when I've got mine.
E-mail Fuglystick to [email protected] .

Installation is a breeze and fit is perfect.
You need to replace Saiga's HG's front cross pin and install Fuglystick's retainer plate, securing it with provided longer pin.
Handguard then slides over and being inserted snugly into the receiver, securing it at the same location as Saiga OEM HG.
Front of new handguard is secured to pinned retainer plate with 2 hex shoulder bolts (provided).
Detailed instructions and all hardware comes with handguard.

I can send you close-up pictures of handguard's bottom, if you wish.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#10]
How does it run?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How does it run?

Love it!
Will post Range video soon; but here is LRBHO on empty mag:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbAfJRpUoz4[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbAfJRpUoz4

Mag and bolt release controls placed in the most logical locations.
Mag well is nicely beveled and mag swap is a breeze.

The bullet guide is an eye-opener; never seen anything like that on AK, but again, this is an AR-ized AK.
Best of AR functionality in AK platform.

(Note to Definitive Arms and others: now design the receiver for hinged breakdown , floating hand guard and rigid integrated dust cover with flat top SIG556-style and take my money).
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does it run?

Love it!
Will post Range video soon; but here is LRBHO on empty mag:

Mag and bolt release controls placed in the most logical locations.
Mag well is nicely beveled and mag swap is a breeze.

The bullet guide is an eye-opener; never seen anything like that on AK, but again, this is an AR-ized AK.
Best of AR functionality in AK platform.

(Note to Definitive Arms and others: now design the receiver for hinged breakdown , floating hand guard and rigid integrated dust cover with flat top SIG556-style and take my money).

2 out of 3 of those are already being worked on.
Currently on the back burner, but being worked on none the less.

So TAKE MY MONEY, DANG IT!!!
RSVP for S/N 001.
And if not, I will register as ...Democrat.

(Eh-h, NO, sorry... but RSVP'd anyway).

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I am on the waiting list.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...
I wonder where you're at on the list.

Just finished up more complete rifles, and some more orders will be shipping out this week.

I am a patient man.  You only got me on the list last week.  

I can wait a while for something this good.  I am also going to have you guys thread my barrel as well.

Probably a dumb question, but does it matter that my Saiga does not have receiver dimples?
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...
I wonder where you're at on the list.

Just finished up more complete rifles, and some more orders will be shipping out this week.

I am a patient man.  You only got me on the list last week.  

I can wait a while for something this good.  I am also going to have you guys thread my barrel as well.

Probably a dumb question, but does it matter that my Saiga does not have receiver dimples?

Not a problem at all.
In fact prototype number 1 had no dimples.

Great

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I just wanted to thank Definitive Arms for bringing this product to the market. There have been other attempts at doing something similer but Definitive has really put it all together to make an awesome product.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/12/2013 2:39:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Stand by for more pictures and video, including range time.

This babe works like a champ and feeds each and every type of ammo thrown at it with not a hiccup!
Speaking of mags: not a single issue, from pristine PMAGs (Gen 2 and 3) to new and well worn (i.e. beat-the-hell-out-of) USGIs, C-Products and some weird (Korean-made?) thin-wall featherweight thing, which I was afraid to handle with more than two fingers.

I love it!
(And at the time of today's hysteria and gun buying frenzy, it is PRICELESS).

(Just in case: MY RIFLE IS NOT FOR SALE).

Link Posted: 1/12/2013 5:52:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 4:18:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I owe the range report, still. Would be helpful to remember bringing the targets back, but I guess after all those hard landings and poorly executed PLFs, CRS is taking its toll (JK).
I didn't measure the spread, but I am VERY HAPPY with it, being on par with accuracy with my 5.45x39.

In a mean time, my buddy spooned me with few USGIs in the middle of mag sweeping craze, and shipped them inside the "specialty" packaging (see below).
Just in case, I cleaned them with sanitary wipes prior to use (JK).
I thought it was hilarious.
Oh Lord, didn't I give him a lot of grief about...

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:45:03 PM EDT
[#27]
SgtRaven
That is one very nice set-up.
I put a complete rifle on waiting list today.
Gotta have one after i saw yours.
Looks to be excellent craftsmanship.
Hope they shoot as well as they look.

Chuck
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:18:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
SgtRaven
That is one very nice set-up.
I put a complete rifle on waiting list today.
Gotta have one after i saw yours.
Looks to be excellent craftsmanship.
Hope they shoot as well as they look.

Chuck

Chuck,

I truly believe in infinity of American craftsmanship and innovation, as an extension of our mindset and mentality (at least, the part of society, which stands by the principles this Country was founded upon).
Big words and politics aside, this is exactly the case.
No offense to Izhmash: Definitive Arms is taking already good product and making it superior in design and execution.
Everything here is a top notch; no excuses, no shortcuts.

The thing about their approach is (and it took me a while to comprehend), that unlike many add-on customizers, they don't do just a bolt-on/spray-over quickie, but rather hand pick, disassemble, machine, reassemble and hand-fit, parkerize  (melonite) and fire-testing the final product.
I'm sure I'm missing something along the way, but I'm an "end user", not Machinist or Armorer.
I think they do eh-h ..."not enough" marketing job about what they're really doing to their product, and what it takes to finish one and put into customer's hands.

Heck, I'm more excited about my rifle now, 4 weeks after getting it, than on a first day (and my name is not Ralphie, and this is not a Red Rider, JK!).
(I might as well go and work for them; sadly, I don't have any valuable skills, except pulling the trigger, he-he).

I can assure you: if you get it and won't like it, you'll sell it in no time (heck, I'll help you: mark my words).

There is a handful of small enterprises, which got me fired up and excited about their products; all originated from brilliant idea, followed by intense "labor of love" and superior execution (some of their products used on my rifles, including this one, which I'm taking a bit further than a stock configuration).

Good luck,
Keep me posted and feel free to ask any questions (taking my limited specific knowledge and skills into consideration).
Happy Shooting!

P.S. Raw video overview of project in works:

http://youtu.be/UKvzDOQp2xM
[youtube]http://youtu.be/UKvzDOQp2xM[/youtube]
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey Raven! Thanks for the write up and the explanation on your build.

First, how do you like your M.I. Mount? Also, how do you like the illuminated Hi-Lux 1-4x? How do you feel the quality is with this optic is? Tough? Is point shooting on 1x efficient? Your rifle looks great, very well thought out and put together.

RM
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

First, how do you like your M.I. Mount? Also, how do you like the illuminated Hi-Lux 1-4x? How do you feel the quality is with this optic is? Tough? Is point shooting on 1x efficient? Your rifle looks great, very well thought out and put together.

RM

Thanks, RM!

I don't have a single line answer to both questions; let me share why (all my notes are based on my own and subjective opinion).

Scope mount.
(+) MI mount is a superior quality product.
Top notch in fit and finish. Feels very sturdy and keeps zero well.
Very aggressive, pushing the limits design; perfectly centered and has lowest mounting height.
(-) Bulky and thick; extrudes more than comparable Russian VOMZ and Molot. Would be on a way for LHS folder (my last MOE stock on ACE hinge would not close on it, period).
Proprietary lever with micro release button is too small for quick disconnect while gloved or having wet hands. I don't dig it at all. I must been spoiled by Russian OEM style levers.
When released, dove tail is opening up surprisingly "too wide" and wobbles all over when you slide it onto the rail. Once locked it sits very tight.
Other thing I don't care of, is that lever is not stable in its plane when loose, i.e. it rotates slightly (CW/CCW), causing added tension when starting to close it in off-plane position.
I also wish its rings were moved further forward.
Overall: it's a high-tech mount, which wouldn't be my first choice, knowing then what I know now.
Most likely I'll sell it and look at RS or go back to Russian "T-34 styled" VOMZ or Molot.

Scope.
(+) Very good glass. Very low distortion ("fish eye") on 1x. Very nice reticle and scaling.
Green dot and "upside down" horseshoe helps for close range (CQB target acquisition), but (IMO) as not as clear and well defined/focused as even lower priced alternatives.
Resettable turrets are a big plus (if you use this feature).
Scope is built very well (although its built in ...China). Hold zero; feels very sturdy.
Battery life appears to be good: I left it on NV for 2 weeks (well, I know, night vision mode draws very little current) and it's just as good, as new.
Knobs and zoom action are tight and fitted well, but clicks are a little too "mushy" for my taste.

I might sound like a little spoiled brat, but I can't really say I am 3x happier with this scope/mount setup, as opposed to 3x cheaper Primary Arms 1-4X red dot and VOMZ I've got on sale from PA.
Since I'm not in precision mid/long range shooting (then I'd be looking at Leupolds and like in different zoom range), I might go back to the combo I've had on last project.
Most likely, scope will be for sale as well.

My personal opinion.
Hope that helps.
Happy Shooting!
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
SgtRaven,
I must make a correction to one of your statements.

We do not Melonite the rifles.

We do a black dip etching process, followed by parkerizing.
Afterword the rifles are re-heated and submerged in a oil treatment in an attempt to seal the oil in and "season" the rifle.

We've done some corrosion testing, and the parts that were etched, parked, and treated far out performed parts that were just parkerized.

Hope this post is informative to all.
Thank you.

Oh Lord,

I'm getting myself into more and more troubles with every post!

ALL: sorry about the "Melonite" comment.
Didn't I mention I have no valuable Machining or Armorer's skills?

Thank you for correction!

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey Raven. Thank you for the thorough response. I agree that having a larger throw lever is better than a smaller one. I am curious about the M.I. 1913 rail instead of the 30mm ring setup. One could then put some low rings on the rail and call it good, while also retaining the ability to put non 30mm tube optics on (aimpoint etc).

I really want a 1-4x with a 1moa center, much like the hi-lux. I am surprised you feel the primary arms 1-4x is a little better (and cheaper to boot). These are things I will keep in consideration. Thanks again for your response. I think your rifle is amazing!

RM

Quoted:
Quoted:

RM

Thanks, RM!

I don't have a single line answer to both questions; let me share why (all my notes are based on my own and subjective opinion).

Scope mount.
(+) MI mount is a superior quality product.
Top notch in fit and finish. Feels very sturdy and keeps zero well.
Very aggressive, pushing the limits design; perfectly centered and has lowest mounting height.
(-) Bulky and thick; extrudes more than comparable Russian VOMZ and Molot. Would be on a way for LHS folder (my last MOE stock on ACE hinge would not close on it, period).
Proprietary lever with micro release button is too small for quick disconnect while gloved or having wet hands. I don't dig it at all. I must been spoiled by Russian OEM style levers.
When released, dove tail is opening up surprisingly "too wide" and wobbles all over when you slide it onto the rail. Once locked it sits very tight.
Other thing I don't care of, is that lever is not stable in its plane when loose, i.e. it rotates slightly (CW/CCW), causing added tension when starting to close it in off-plane position.
I also wish its rings were moved further forward.
Overall: it's a high-tech mount, which wouldn't be my first choice, knowing then what I know now.
Most likely I'll sell it and look at RS or go back to Russian "T-34 styled" VOMZ or Molot.

Scope.
(+) Very good glass. Very low distortion ("fish eye") on 1x. Very nice reticle and scaling.
Green dot and "upside down" horseshoe helps for close range (CQB target acquisition), but (IMO) as not as clear and well defined/focused as even lower priced alternatives.
Resettable turrets are a big plus (if you use this feature).
Scope is built very well (although its built in ...China). Hold zero; feels very sturdy.
Battery life appears to be good: I left it on NV for 2 weeks (well, I know, night vision mode draws very little current) and it's just as good, as new.
Knobs and zoom action are tight and fitted well, but clicks are a little too "mushy" for my taste.

I might sound like a little spoiled brat, but I can't really say I am 3x happier with this scope/mount setup, as opposed to 3x cheaper Primary Arms 1-4X red dot and VOMZ I've got on sale from PA.
Since I'm not in precision mid/long range shooting (then I'd be looking at Leupolds and like in different zoom range), I might go back to the combo I've had on last project.
Most likely, scope will be for sale as well.

My personal opinion.
Hope that helps.
Happy Shooting!

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#35]
RE:
I am surprised you feel the primary arms 1-4x is a little better (and cheaper to boot). These are things I will keep in consideration.

I'm not saying Primary Arms' 1-4x is better, but I'm definitely not saying it's worse.
It's an EXCELLENT budget alternative, which doesn't need any excuses.

For my needs, PA is just right.
I sure wish it had LW-style reticle and 1 Mil dot.
Speaking of dot, I found PA's dot is more defined, even though it's bigger in size.

My personal opinion; my specific needs, requirements and expectations.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 2:44:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Someone, pass a glass of water (or keg of beer), ''cause I am about to eat my words about the Leatherwood.

After "hollywooding" in the woods right after getting it, I went to the County range and (after extended waiting due to record attendance: sign of times) landed me a 50 yds lane (couldn't even get on 100, it was so packed).
Sighted in (in few short rounds) and went to qual.

Bottom line: it's a keeper.
Target pictures below

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 5:03:46 AM EDT
[#37]
I've been immensely impressed with my Leatherwood CMR. From my FAL to my ARs, its always on, stays on, and can get me out to 800 accurately. For the $ you can't beat it IMO. Oh, and glass, extremely clear.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#38]
LRBHO in action, plus casual mag swap test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20rk_yrBhE&feature=youtu.be
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f20rk_yrBhE&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I find the 5.56 AKs to be noticeably more accurate than 7.62 AKs.
I shoot tighter groups with my SLR106 than my SGL21.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 4:59:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nice target sir.

These rifles are proving to be far more accurate then some would claim.

Now, put them into right hands and take them to Camp Perry.

And speaking of accuracy of 5.56 vs 7.62x39: fully agree.
5.56' ballistics are superior to 7.62x39; however, in CQB & SHTF situations nothing clears "haram" better than "crude and rude" 7.62x39.

Link Posted: 1/26/2013 5:05:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Video v.002:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/tjL8QUAzdGU[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/tjL8QUAzdGU[/youtube]

Link Posted: 1/26/2013 10:56:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Awesome. i just did the same set up on my Vepr .308. I want one of those Definitive Arms builds. Will they work on the Vepr 223's too?

Link Posted: 1/27/2013 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Awesome. i just did the same set up on my Vepr .308. I want one of those Definitive Arms builds. Will they work on the Vepr 223's too?

You need to contact them directly.
I've seen positive discussions about the prospects of Vepr conversions.
I understand they're swamped with .223 Saiga builds, since majority of demand is in these.
Check DA's original threads (links below) and contact them directly.
Nice Vepr and good looking setup!
Happy Shooting!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_531/225527_DEFINITIVE_ARMS_is_taking_Pre_Order__No_Money_Down_No_Obligation__Details_Inside_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_531/224725_Definitive_Arms_AK_conversions__Last_Round_Bolt_Hold_Open_using_AR15_Magazines.html

P.S. I've got scared for a moment after seeing your picture, so I ran into my "armory" to see if my scope and mount are still there

P.S. More enhancements are on their way (and neither one is coming from "online pharmacy" in the form of "blue pill").
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Have you seen M.A.C.'s latest video?
(Credits to Military Arms Channel):
[youtube]http://youtu.be/PAjidZr5D7o[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/PAjidZr5D7o
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I thoroughly enjoy the Snow Test at the end

Just like in Mother Russia!
Siberia-tough, Babushka-friendly; takes single-digit IQ to operate.

Got to love AK!
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I thoroughly enjoy the Snow Test at the end

Yeah, just saw the vid.

Great product, good review and lots of happy customers judging by every ones comments.
You guys are onto a winner.

I only wish you could do the same for my .308Win Vepr!

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 2:19:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Definitive Arms' great-looking website is up and running!
http://www.definitivearms.com//

(But check here for upcoming upgrades to my rifle in a few days).

Happy Shooting!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top