Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/21/2012 8:35:44 PM EDT
I am planning on ordering a vepr 02 .308 16 inch barrel and plan on removing the muzzle cap and installing a muzzle break. My question is haw hard is it to do? The only tools I have are a standard drill, dremel tool, and pliers and vice grips. Is that possible and easy for me to do? Could somebody post pics of the process?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:54:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am planning on ordering a vepr 02 .308 16 inch barrel and plan on removing the muzzle cap and installing a muzzle break. My question is haw hard is it to do? The only tools I have are a standard drill, dremel tool, and pliers and vice grips. Is that possible and easy for me to do? Could somebody post pics of the process?

Sorry, I didn't take pics when I did mine, but it was really easy and yes you have all you need to do it if you have some cut-off wheels for that dremel. The pin just lays across a groove in the barrel right behind the threads, I just started "shaving" the top of the welded area until the pin and cap became loose enough to twist by hand.

This is what the groove looks like after removal. You will then have the issue of aftermarket muzzle devices not covering up the groove. Ways around that too.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]
yep, what dragynn said.  I did mine last night, but i used a small grinding wheel instead of cut off wheels. I just ground a little at a time to ensure i didnt get into the threads.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't removed the cap from my v.02 5.45 yet but I did take it off of my v.01 7.62 and I simply grabbed a little file out of the tool box and rubbed away on that sucker until the groove I created became deep enough for the pin to pop out. Piece o' cake.

I did end up having to muscle off the cap because the pin had buggered the threads up at the bottom and it wouldn't unscrew easily.

You however will have no such issue because on the v.02's it seems that Vepr was kind enough to gouge the barrel out with that pin instead of getting it into the threads. Where, you know, it would be covered by whatever brake you reinstalled.

Thanks Guys!

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top