Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2012 5:06:11 PM EDT
Ijust bought a converted Saiga, I can't wait to try it out this weekend.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg190/twstm/IMAG0485.jpg

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Great gun. It will serve you well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like it's ready to rock! Let's see pics of the targets when you get back.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesomeness!!

AK's never jam, so you will go through a lot of ammo. Well OK, you will just plain ass go through the ammo. Have fun!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I bought 500 rds of ammo to keep me busy for now.  I was thinking about some type of red dot scope for it....
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Awesomeness!!

AK's never jam, so you will go through a lot of ammo. Well OK, you will just plain ass go through the ammo. Have fun!!

You haven't shot that many AK's then.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#6]
What's that little rectangle patch at the back of the receiver?
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I know that Arsenal was initially selling their unconverted S12's like that. It was an etched patch of some sort to cover up the Russian American Armory engraving. I guess they got a big batch from Izhmash that were initially built for RAA.

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Your Saiga either is trying to quite smoking or to not  get pregnant

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#9]
My Saiga had the patch as well. Some weird tape junk to cover up Russian American Armory Co, Scottsburg, IN
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Crappy picture of the patch. Sorta:

Link Posted: 11/15/2012 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks, I bought 500 rds of ammo to keep me busy for now.  I was thinking about some type of red dot scope for it....

Great rifle, congrats.  First AK? As for a red dot, are you looking to get a foward mounted one (on the upper handguard) or on the traditional side scope rail over the receiver?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got the same one!  Just so happened I picked her up on Mikhail Kalashnikovs birthday 11/10/12!
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#13]
You are probably going to want to change out the stock they are pretty flimsy.   I found it uncomfortable personally.   I have a KVAR that I got a great deal on EE on mine.
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great rifle, congrats.  First AK? As for a red dot, are you looking to get a foward mounted one (on the upper handguard) or on the traditional side scope rail over the receiver?

Not sure, what is recommended? I took it to the range today for the first time...wow it really throws the brass! I was a little high and left at 50 yards, mostly left at 100yds open sights. My group at 100yds was probably within six inches with open sights....I'm a little rusty and my eyes have a hard time focusing the front and rear sights these days...that's why I am thinking of the red dot optic!

I really had a blast shooting the Saiga, I can see where this might get addicting!
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure, what is recommended? I took it to the range today for the first time...wow it really throws the brass! I was a little high and left at 50 yards, mostly left at 100yds open sights. My group at 100yds was probably within six inches with open sights....I'm a little rusty and my eyes have a hard time focusing the front and rear sights these days...that's why I am thinking of the red dot optic!

I really had a blast shooting the Saiga, I can see where this might get addicting!

Honestly, not being familiar with converted Saigas, I'm not sure how you would go about getting a forward mount.  I don't know how easy it is to swap out that front hand guard.  I have a Bushnell TRS-25 forward mounted on my SGL with an Ultimak rail and it is one sweet set up.  Best would be to try and shoot both set ups, if you know other people with AKs.  THere are pluses and minuses to both set ups, which you can research on this site.

ETA: pics of my SGL21

I've thrown about 1500 rounds through so far and it has held zero throughout.  Insanely fun to shoot especially knowing how cheap ammo is.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, not being familiar with converted Saigas, I'm not sure how you would go about getting a forward mount.  I don't know how easy it is to swap out that front hand guard.  I have a Bushnell TRS-25 forward mounted on my SGL with an Ultimak rail and it is one sweet set up.  Best would be to try and shoot both set ups, if you know other people with AKs.  THere are pluses and minuses to both set ups, which you can research on this site.

ETA: pics of my SGL21

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/uploads/gallery/album_21671/gallery_62410_21671_123631.jpg

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/uploads/gallery/album_21671/gallery_62410_21671_234000.jpg

I've thrown about 1500 rounds through so far and it has held zero throughout.  Insanely fun to shoot especially knowing how cheap ammo is.

Looks like a nice setup. I have been searching the internet looking for mounts....I think I may change the stock out also.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I like it a lot.  It comes down to personal preference on where to mount the optic.  Keep us posted!
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top