Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/27/2007 7:10:57 AM EDT
Was thinking of maybe picking one up.  Any Suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/27/2007 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#1]
For the price, they're hard to beat.  Remember that 5.45 ammo is import only, so if our illustrious politicians decide to cut off imports "for the children", you'll have a $300 club.
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
its a beater and needs fixing. 50% you might get a lemon with wasr-2. get the wasr-10 hi-cap, it has no problems at all.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 3:33:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Between myself, friends and family recently have seen 4 of them.  All 4 are currently working great with no problems at all.  2 had some minor hiccups during the break in, but with more rounds all straightened themselves out.  Mine was the only one with a bit of cant on the front sight, but windage drum had enough in it to give me a 100 yrd zero and I am ok with the drum not being straight.     The wood refinishes pretty easy and makes it look 100% better.   All and all I think all 4 owners are very pleased.  It is not going to win a beauty contest, but they go bang and the ammo is pretty cheap right now.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
So would anyone have some suggestions on what I should be looking for or where and about how much I should look to spend?
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So would anyone have some suggestions on what I should be looking for or where and about how much I should look to spend?

It's in your title.  Aim has them for $289 now I think.  They also have extra mags for $13 bucks.  They are probably also the cheapest on ammo.

They have been this price for several months now and I am amazed they haven't sold out of them yet.

edit: Also, Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all the ammo is corrosive, so be sure to clean up your rifle with soap and water, then CLP after shooting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 5:48:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/30/2007 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
doubled
Link Posted: 6/4/2007 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#9]
You are wrong.  Ammo such as Barnaul and Wolf are not corrosive.

Correct-a-mundo.  The cheapest N/C 5.45mm is Wolf MC at Widener's.  The cheapest spam can corrosive is at Bulgarian milsurp at Century Arms.
Link Posted: 6/8/2007 1:03:06 AM EDT
[#10]
hit or miss. The first one I bought did not feed rounds and I had to return it. Second one works well but has a canted sight.  If I were to do it over again I would buy the tantal from Atlantic instead.
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I got mine at the Indy1500 gun show, but it appears to be exactly the same as what AIM is selling.

It came NIB but the gun had lots of metal grinding and bits of metal everywhere inside it, so right out of the box it needed a good cleaning.  After cleaning and oiling it, I took it out to shoot this past Sunday to test out with some of the Russian surplus from Rguns. The bolt carrier contacts the upper gas block on each cycle (I noticed this right away, but figured.. F'it I'll try anyway it's just a jippo gun).. then I found that it fires only one round and fails to eject the spent casing.  After 3 or 4 shots of manually pulling back the charging handle to eject/load it jams so hard that I couldn't pull the charging handle back and clear it by hand anymore.  I ended up adding extra oil and banging the charging handle against a sturdy table...  kinda like that video of the guy kicking the handle on his full auto -74, but in my case the gun was unloaded and pointing at the ground rather than my head.  It worked.

In short, at this point I somewhat regret getting into the 5.45 caliber, or more specifically regret buying the WASR-2.  I knew going in that it was a cheap-o gun, but I did not expect it to be as bad as what I got.  Looking back - for all that I've spent on the jippo gun and 3 cases, I could have gotten a big ol' pile of 7.62 ammo for my AK's that work.  

It's kinda hard to believe how much metal waste was inside of that WASR-2 and how a factory could release a gun in such poor shape!!  It's like a gun that was slapped together following a lego instruction book by a person who has never seen an AK before.  The final step of assembly is to then dump in metal grindings and ship to customer.  

The WASR-2 experience so far makes me totally appreciate my other AK's.  It also reminds me how we all have to suffer from the Chinese weapons import ban..  My MAK is so smooth, well built etc.  So we went from having cheap Chinese guns of high quality and great finish, to cheap Romanian guns of total inferior quality.  Bad trade.  

I am going to my good old local shop tonight to have them check out my bolt, ejector etc and hopefully fix the ejection failure problem.  Maybe once this one major issue is resolved, I'll start to like it.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine hated taking and removing mags, was a real pain maybe 40% fit and not well.

Sold it for what I had in it local and ordered an ORF gun
Link Posted: 6/11/2007 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#14]
My local shop was helpful.  They said that the extractor looks normal, so perhaps the round is missing the ejector all together (bad) or maybe the gas port is blocked and the gun is short stroking due to insufficient gas moving the bolt/carrier.  I need to check out the gas port and hope that it's obstructed with some kind of junk.  To be continued (if anyone cares to hear what happens),
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#15]
corrosive ammo if its in a tin and also b/c its cheaper than non-corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
corrosive ammo if its in a tin and also b/c its cheaper than non-corrosive ammo.

ah hell..just shoot and do a little cleaning afterwards....
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top