Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/11/2006 6:08:03 PM EDT
I just picked up my first WASR today.  I've seen a lot of the mod work here, and planned on doing a little of my own.  I wanted to change out the pistol grip and possibly the rear stock.

I was told by the dealer that changing anything on the weapon is illegal.  Is that just a Massachusetts thing, or was he wrong?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You can change out the stock/grip. Just watch your U.S. parts count. I believe the pistol grip on the WASR's is part of the U.S. parts count, which means you'll have to replace it with another made here in the states.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there any way to find out what is U.S. so I can stay legal?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
They have US made grips at www.tapco.com.  Also check out www.k-var.com too.  They have a link to U.S. manufacturers
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
if you dont have us parts do like the ATF come to your house and like take your gun apart LOL, come on.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:12:56 AM EDT
[#5]
if You are not sure what parts are US and which are not.As long as you replace the part with a US made part you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:39:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
if You are not sure what parts are US and which are not.As long as you replace the part with a US made part you can't go wrong.

Good point.  I apologize for such an elementary question, but I the man at the gun shop said "any alterations makes this rifle illegal", which struck me as odd.

I appreciate the answers.  I'm sure I'll have more questions as I did into this rifle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Be very wary of Massachusetts laws. I know they have some of their own weird gun laws on the books.  Federally you're okay as long as you keep the US parts count correct. But there might be a Mass. assault weapons ban that prohibits evil features like pistol grips and flash hiders.
FWIW
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure what WASR10 you bought but...

I believe Century marks their US made trigger assembly parts with a "C".

If you bought a G2 Wasr10, your trigger assembly parts would be marked as Tapco.

Having either one of these markings would allow you to change the furniture on your ak with no Federal problems.

MA may have different laws though.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:53:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Does that WASR take 30 shot magazines? If so, then you can replace any part with a U.S. part as stated. If not ,then you will have to watch your parts count if you make any changes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:09:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does that WASR take 30 shot magazines? If so, then you can replace any part with a U.S. part as stated. If not ,then you will have to watch your parts count if you make any changes.

Yes.  It's the Century Arms import.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You can change out the stock/grip. Just watch your U.S. parts count. I believe the pistol grip on the WASR's is part of the U.S. parts count, which means you'll have to replace it with another made here in the states.

Black plastic pistol grip is a Century US part allready.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top