Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 10:07:10 AM EDT
I just purchased my first Romy at a gun show. This is the markings on the side. Can anyone tell me what the GP and the 63 designates? Also, any other info on the weapon itself. I am told that it originally had single stack mag capacity, but was modded. Does it have any US parts on it?
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/3627/parasf002medium3oo.jpg
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I know that the gp is for the rifles with preban stuff on them.......not sure what 63 means........all wasr's where single stack only, untill they where imported to this country.....I know that the new wasr's do have U.S parts.....some of the older Romanian ak's did not have U.S parts
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
that is a very old WASR (one of the first ones made) THe 63 is for the year that Romania began to make their own AKMs- 1963. I have seen one of those a gun show too. I wish I had gotten it because it was unique but I already have 2 Wasrs and dont want another.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont know about the 63??? however iv always known that the last 2 #s on the seriel number are the date of mfg.........74...............1974!!! Like said tho..............it is an OLD wasr and honestly iv never seen one that old.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to know what this means too.  I have a Romy that's stamped GP WASR-10/63 but the serial number on the trunion ends in 84.  From what I've gathered the 84 is the year of manufacture but I haven't found anything that tells what the 63 stands for.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#5]
last two of the serial is the year? really? i woudnt have guessed mine was made in '77.  

do we know what the letters on the serial mean?  i see sniperfox's are FE mine are HE
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:48:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm beginning to wonder if there is any meaning to these numbers. LOL this gun was just purchased NIB and it was made in 1974?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Obviously these are put together with surplus parts - not new manufacture.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm beginning to wonder if there is any meaning to these numbers. LOL this gun was just purchased NIB and it was made in 1974?

NIB,because you are the first civilain to own it.
Yes,the last two digits signify the year it was manufactured.
My WASR was made in 77.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Not saying that you're wrong, but what did they make semi-auto AK's for during that time period? Romania was behind the Iron Curtain and IIRC, there wasn't any exporting of  AK's to the free world for the civilain market until years later . And the bigger question for me is, what have they been doing for the last 30 years? Does anyone have any info concerning them?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn I must have the first AK ever made cause mine says 04, so i'm assuming it was made in 1904

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
my wasr is made in 82 ......ha take that my ak is newer
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Damn I must have the first AK ever made cause mine says 04, so i'm assuming it was made in 1904

Is your AK Romanian?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not saying that you're wrong, but what did they make semi-auto AK's for during that time period? Romania was behind the Iron Curtain and IIRC, there wasn't any exporting of  AK's to the free world for the civilain market until years later . And the bigger question for me is, what have they been doing for the last 30 years? Does anyone have any info concerning them?

As for the semi-auto question.It was probably to reduce the waste of ammo.
Just like our military switched to tri-burst to save on ammo.
As for what were they doing for the past 30 years?Probably sitting in a crate,packed with cosmoline.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#14]
hahah 04' very funny....................well we all know the date of mfg is last 2 digits on the seriel # Except Delta068s but what i still havent found out is the 63? any body???
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Is your AK Romanian?

Yes,

Does that mean mine was made in 04? because I bought it Jume of 2004.  Thats awefully quick for the Rommys to make it and ship it over here, I never knew former Communists could be so effecient
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top