Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/25/2006 6:31:12 PM EDT
Well, after sending off my SA-93 to Andre at ArTex to have it converted back to pre-ban configuration, I started loitering around the various AK boards and found myself lusting after another rifle. So today I went out and picked up a new, CAI GP WASR-10. I think I got a pretty good deal, it came with two 30 rd mags, bayonet, mag pouch, leather sling and cleaning kit, all for $350.00. I got to pick it out of a litter of six and it looks like it's in pretty good shape (I'd love to post pics but I'm late for work).

I got it home and decided to wipe it down and take a few of the cosmoline layers off. While cleaning the bolt carrier I noticed that where the gas piston screws into the carrier there is a small hole showing threads underneath. It looks to me like this is where the pin should be and I would like to know if anyone else that has one of these guns has seen this. Does this mean that they forgot to place the pin to secure the piston? I looked closely at the assembly and it looks like the piston has been changed and the carrier repainted (US made piston to make gun comply with feds???), but I didn't see any signs of another pin anywhere. Also, the piston is screwed in all the way into the carrier and is solid, no "wobble".

I can't wait to get out and put some rounds down range but I am somewhat concerned about the piston backing out of the carrier if it isn't pinned. Hoping someone out there can help me out with this....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
hey speedy, I have the same rifle.  I just checked mine and there is one open hole.  The other side was welded (otherwise there would be a hole on the opposite side of the bolt carrier).  Theres almost  no wobble in the piston.  I have fired mine a few times and no problems at all.  

Go ahead clean and oil it up then break her in.

BTW, does the engraving on your wasr look all squiggley?  I can barely read mine.  The knuckle heads who built these rifles did some low class work.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Knifehitter,
Yeah, I've been told that Century welds the US piston back on and skips the pin altogether.  As long as the piston is on straight there should be no problem.  As for the writing on the receiver, mine is kida "squiggley" too.  The guys who did the writing must have had too much coffee on those days...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine's just like yours.  Welded piston and squiggly writing.  Shoots great.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Same here...all around.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Good to hear, seems like this is just the way these guns are built.  Had some extra time today and decided to completely strip the Romy down to refinish the wood and I noticed something else that I'd like to mention.  I found that the gas block has a slight left sided cant to it.  I don't think this will be a problem and I've heard that this is also normal for the WASRs.  Going to the range tomorrow and I'll be sure to post any problems.  Thanks for the responses...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:39:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Thought I'd try my hand at posting some pics of my new toy...

My WASR after a good cleaning, stripped bolt carrier and basic stock re-finish...

WASR with it's prissy american cousin...

Just didn't look right with such a new looking finish, so I gave it a slightly "worn" look.  I like it...

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice AK, looks just like mine I also like your M4. Hopefull my AK will have a "prissy american cousin" within the next couple weeks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I used a little 0000 steel wool and rubbed down one of Rom AKs...damn it looks better than the regular finish. Gives it that battle field look. When I sold it the guy loved it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Speedy,

I will be getting the exact same WASR this next week.  Your stock refinish job looks great... classic, but not too red.  What steps did you take to get that color?  What did you coat it with?  Just thought I'd ask you since you have the same material that I will be working with.  Thanks in advance for your reply.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
TxGunner,
First of all welcome to the site!  I think my WASR is one of the new generation rifles that comes with a fairly basic finish on the stocks.  Mine seemed to have a pretty rough surface texture with only a simple oil finish to it, kind of light blonde in color.  All I did was sand the wood starting with some 200 grit sand paper, working my way up to 400 grit.  Then I wiped everything down with some Formby's paint remover wash and stained the stock set with red mahogony oil based stain.  After letting everything dry over night I wiped the stocks down, put a final coat of Fornby's tung oil on it, and rubbed it smooth with 000 steel wool.  I didn't want to spend a lot of time running around looking for supplies and my work shop space is pretty limited right now, so everything I used for the re-finish was bought at Wal-Mart in one visit.  This process definately darkened up and smoothed up the wood.  I think I would have liked to have it come out a little redder in color, but I am pretty happy with the results.  Good luck with your gun and have fun....
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the reply, Speedy... I have been a long time lurker with 2 ARs.  This will be my first AK.  I'm shooting for the dark side!  I can't wait.  I'm going to copy your refinishing method, it looks great to me.  Thanks again for the help!
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top