Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 5:32:44 PM EDT
Just wondering if you guys would polish the charging handle. I thought about it but, wondered if it was traditonal of AKs or just personal preference.  Also, if I decide to polish, do I do everything up to where the gas pistion screws in?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I like them dark, myself.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm not sure if you've been introduced to this site or not, but its a wonderful one.
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/chrome.htm
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I didi it on mine and I think it looks better. I followed the instructions on linx310's page and it worked great. This is what mine looks like after I added a folding stock and front hand guard.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried it, but it shows every horrible Romanian machine marks... looks like it was dragged behind a truck.  After lots of sanding and filing trying to get all of the machine marks out, I finally gave up and reblued it.  Turns out it looks meaner blued, and it looks more "correct" for a Romanian rifle anyway.  The blue job I did came out a little greyer than the original blued finish and looks better.  Sort of an in between grey and black.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I used blue remover on mine and ended up doing the whole thing, that stuff gets all over.
If you want you could mask off the area you don't want to strip, then work the solution over the desired area.

I used the trusty Dremel to polish the bolt/charging handle, starting with a wire wheel and then to a synthetic silica bit and finishing with polishing pad bits and good metal polish.

The end result wasn't too bad, you can see some pitting in it but it GLEAMS like its big Russian brother would've always wanted him to.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/4630183/DSC02109Medium.jpg

Or see my post here

Later
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#6]

click to enlarge

I did it up to the gas piston.

Mykrowyre is right though. It does reveal all the cruddy machine marks.

I tried the linx310 instructions and it didn't work for me. I ended up using a wire brush on the end of a drill. Worked fine.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the "drug behing my truck" comment as mine looked the same. It was fine blued, but as soon as I stripped it off.........MAN......it looked like I shaped the whole thing with my 4 1/2" grinder from scratch. So after a bunch of clean-up and sanding it was time to polish. Maybe too much bling but looks like chrome now. We'll see if I have to tone it done when I get it back together.hehttp://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/1484357-chro.jpg
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW,.....man i like the chrome  look. How did you do it????
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Who needs bling on a killing machine  That's like gold trim on a tank.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#10]
damn, now i want gold trim on my ak.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#11]
It looked so bad after I removed the blueing that I used my 90deg die grinder with a rollok scotchbright to take the machine marks out. Then sanded with 150/220/400/sanding pad. The I took it to work with me and buffed it. Really about 15/20 minutes of work total. Wasn't that bad. I just really didn't know when to quit is why it's got the bling. I did the wood too and I like how it turned out. Like I said my camera sux but this is all I can do. It looks better than the picture. And all that really counts is that I like it. I love AR's but I'm digging AK's since it's kind of like fixing up a beater car you don't have much money in. Thats tons of fun too.http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/1484476-AK.jpg
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top