Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:36:13 AM EDT
I bought my very WASR yesterday. It looks like a good gun, no rust,nicks,straches,etc. It came with two 30 round mags, bayonette,sling,oil can, cleaning kit and accessory pouch. I just cant understand how to get the sling to work. The hook end will not fit through the other end. I plan on shooting 60 rounds with it and leaving it unshot for a while. I would however, like to refurnish the wood. I want to give it a more lighter stain look. Any ideas on the process? Also, what typical maintnance is required after shooting? ALSO, What's the best kind of oil to use on the moving parts?

Thanks,
L8models

http://www.localracechat.com/gallery/files/5/2/Picture020.jpg

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You have to work the sling thru turning the clasp part from side to side in kind of a snake like motion.  It WILL fit you just have to play with it.  Its kinda like a puzzel.  

Its an AK it requires minimum cleaning and lube.  Hoppes or any gun oil is fine.  I use a mixture of synthetic Kellube and Hoppes 9 on al of my toys.

As far as refinishing goes you may have a hard time matching the finish color on your front grip it looks REAL dark in the pic. Remove all the wood from the receiver. Strip off the old varnish sand smoothe do some fine sanding and either oil the wood or stain it with the color you want.  If you have some NICE grained wood I would personally get a torch and burn the wood to bring out the grain sand reburn sand then apply like 5 coats of satin polly.  

BTW 60 rounds isnt enuff go for 120  4 mags is always better then 2
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I bought my very WASR yesterday. It looks like a good gun, no rust,nicks,straches,etc. It came with two 30 round mags, bayonette,sling,oil can, cleaning kit and accessory pouch. I just cant understand how to get the sling to work. The hook end will not fit through the other end. I plan on shooting 60 rounds with it and leaving it unshot for a while. I would however, like to refurnish the wood. I want to give it a more lighter stain look. Any ideas on the process? Also, what typical maintnance is required after shooting? ALSO, What's the best kind of oil to use on the moving parts?

Thanks,
L8models

www.localracechat.com/gallery/files/5/2/Picture020.jpg

nice looking ak. looks like someone took off the standard lower that comes on the wsar and tossed on a surplus romy kit lowerhandguard.

for me, when i refinish the furniture i use a chemical stripper and just push the old gunk off. i just used some generic stripper from lowes.strip, let it dry. strip again if you want. i did it a couple of times to really get the old stain and everything out until the wood was almost bleached. then i just dyed it with a RIT dye mix(yes, like the clothing dye). other people i've see use wood stain, others use different stuff. there are a ton of different methods. i suggest you search around the forum and find some you like and read how they did it. different looks for different folks. i wanted a communist red color for my stock. came out pretty good, although i may do it again soon and try and darken it up a bit.

maintainance after shooting? well, i usually just make sure the gun is fully unloaded, get in the car and go home. i find that to be the best way to go about it. sometimes i stop to get a bite to eat, shooting makes me hungry.

all your talk of cleaning and oil is confusing me.

sling->
http://www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=93&t=74119

there is all sorts of information in the AK referance section of the forum.

ps. welcome to the dark side. you'll love the ak
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#3]
heres how to install the sling:www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/sling.htm
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
What about putting the sling on the side folders? (Tapco stock)
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Clean the bore before you shoot it.  Then clean it whenever you are bored and have nothing to do.  If you are busy don't worry about it.  It will still work next time!  I just use a boresnake and some CLP and a little Sinclair bolt grease (Mobile 1 synthetic) when I have time.  Shoot it, learn how to bumpfire, have fun, and don't worry!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
ditch the crapco get a nice piece of laminate
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What about putting the sling on the side folders? (Tapco stock)

no. dont do that(put tapco folders on there). there are really cheap romianian wire folders right now, pick them up instead. it fits better, its better quality, and its not ugly. (you also wont get teased on the site as much ;p )
www.copesdist.com/ak47.htm
they are down on the left side a short ways. there are cheaper ones around, i've seen them going for around 50 but i cna't remember the site. i'm sure someone will jump in, and if not- ask in the general section.

as for more about refinishing, read here.
www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=79&t=73970
www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=79&t=80927
good random bits of information.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I have never had experience with a tapco stock, but i have heard nothing but bad things by people who have used them. I guess they are rickity and can break from even a slight recoil. I have heard good things about some other side folders, particularly the romanian wire side folders.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top