Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/26/2006 2:17:45 PM EDT
Reimport the SAR/WUM line, with the DIMPLES, and then reconfigure to Mil Spec, just like Asenal does to their Bulgies?  Then they would be even more correct than SARs.  From what I hear and see, the "high end" AKs don't really sell all that well anyway, and the Romanians could come in quite cheap!  (I figure that this will happen right after I buy a WASR!)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know I have wondered why they don't do something along those lines too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Dimples are one less thing to worry about when trying to get a rifle imported as "sporting". SAIGA's are the same way. In other countries that SAIGA's are imported, they have magwell dimpless. ATF has a arbitrary system of clasifying firearms for import as "sporting". The U.S. domestic manufactuers pushed this in 1968 to help stymie the import floods they could not compete with. That is why East German and Bulgy Makarov's came imported with a cheesy thumbrest grip as it added "points" to make them "sporting". Dimples fall in the same bullshit catagory. To find an actual published list of what makes any firearm for import "sporting" is elusive if not even at all out there. Any importer that submits a "sporting" AK type rifle for determination to the ATF, will not have dimples as they are not needed for the 10 round single stack mag and will only add question if they were there.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I heard they had a "falling out" with the peple who were selling them  the SAR's, and the WASR's are sold to them from another source.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
From what I heard they had a "falling out" with the peple who were selling them  the SAR's, and the WASR's are sold to them from another source.

That theory was from one quote of a Century Sales rep to a dealer when the SAR's dried up. The reality is that the SAR rifles should have never been imported and the ATF finall caught up to Century and stop new imports. When in late 1997, Clinton had the ATF reinterpet the "sporting clause" for the billionth time and stop the imports of rifles designed to accept Hi-Capacity magazines. There was a dry spell from from 1998 to early 1999 on AK imports with only the 10 round single stacks like the ROMAK 99.1 and 99.2 and KBI's SA2000M rifle. That time frame is when 99% of the HESSE abortions came to market as they were domestically produced from kits already stateside and made 922R compliant. Starting in mid to late 1999, Century started importing the SAR series rifles state side into customs bonded warehouses in semi-auto form with all Romanian parts. Since a bonded warehouse is neutral territory in terms of customs and the ATF, Century hired workers to add the required U.S. parts and then they were deemed legal and then could be released. Century just tricked fucked the ATF at their own game. In late 2003, the ATF just clamped down on Century on this loophole and let their current approved FORM 6's for SAR rifles run out. Now Century just imports the single stack WASR rifles and now modifies them outside the customs bonded warehouses.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps what they (Century) should do is import more of the PAR pump action rifles.  IIRC the receiver of the pump action PAR rifles were exactly the same as the semi SAR series.  No gas port or gas piston, the pump handle was connected to the bolt carrier.  Once in the US either swap the barrel assembly with one with a gas port & standard handguard retainer/etc & add US gas piston/FCG & whatnot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Perhaps what they (Century) should do is import more of the PAR pump action rifles.  IIRC the receiver of the pump action PAR rifles were exactly the same as the semi SAR series.  No gas port or gas piston, the pump handle was connected to the bolt carrier.  Once in the US either swap the barrel assembly with one with a gas port & standard handguard retainer/etc & add US gas piston/FCG & whatnot.

I guarantee that just opening up a WASR magwell is a hell of a lot cheaper, and most people who only want to spring for a SAR/WASR (instead of just spending $100 more to geta VEctor, or something wsimilar with better fit, finish, warranty, and little things like magwell dimples) aren't really concerned with features like magwell dimples.  

I would hazard a guess that maybe 5% of the people buying the WASR really give a damn about magwell dimples or not, most just want something that looks pretty close to the AK and goes bang.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I READ THAT THE NEW WASRS ARE BEING BROUGHT IN AS DOUBLE STACKS SINCE LATE 2004
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Phoey.. They could bring them in with dimples, and still set to accept single stack mags.. Then cut them open when they arive..
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Phoey.. They could bring them in with dimples, and still set to accept single stack mags.. Then cut them open when they arive..

They could, but the ATF knows they will be making them non-sporting, thus stops them from importing.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They could, but the ATF knows they will be making them non-sporting, thus stops them from importing.  

Not true. The Arsenal SLR-105 series came in single stack with dimples. Once stateside, the magazine wells were milled to accept double stack magazines. Of course 922r parts were added for compliance.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#11]
+1
On what Dawg said.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#12]
You do realize the WASR is pretty much the Romaians military standard rifle, just without the happy switch.  The Rom. Army gets select fire WASRs.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top