Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 4:24:28 PM EDT
Is this a pretty fair analysis?

Fun to shoot - but definitely low end, which is okay because that's what I expected and paid for. The trigger pull is really long....it seems like you pull and pull, and just when you think that you've taken up so much slack that it's not going to fire then it goes off.

The recoil is a little bit more than I'd expected. It's chambered in 7.62 x 39 and kicks pretty good. I made the mistake of resting my nose on the back of the receiver, similar to where you'd rest your nose against the charging handle of an M16 or AR-15, and got a pretty good swat from the rifle that told me you shouldn't do that.

It's not nearly as loud as my Bushmaster, which was nice. Took a few minutes to get used to inserting and ejecting the magazine on it, but once you do, it's pretty quick.

I took it apart and wiped it down before firing it, and then had a couple of failures in the first magazine. The subsequent magazines went out with no problems, so I guess the first were just because the rifle had never been fired.

I don't know how accurate it is yet - I haven't had it on a range where I can shoot paper targets. I just went out on a county road and pulled over to shoot at a pile of broken fence posts and cowpies ranging from 25-75 yards. I was getting hits, but was also getting some pretty obvious misses. I think the trigger pull was throwing me off a bit. Anyhow - it's a lot of fun to shoot, and I recommend it to anybody who lives in free America and can get one.

Pic with my AR and Glock:

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I made a similar mistake when I fired my SAR-1 the first time. I was trying to get my nose in as close as possible like I would with my M-16, but when I fired the side swivel mount for my sling went in my mouth and gave my lip a "little" nudge. So I learned really quick to adjust to my new weapon.

WASR's are known to be of lower quality then say a Arsenal or a VEPR, but will give you the same amount of fun if you ask me. Where you using Hollow Points when they jammed? Because I heard some WASR's dont feed them well. You could also change out the FCG with a newer adjustable trigger pull to fit your needs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:36:53 AM EDT
[#2]
nice picture, and welcome to the darkside. they're addictive, and they're cheap- which makes it ok.

i was looking at the wsar and it looks like there isn't a muzzle break on there, is there a reason for that? if you can, i strongly suggest a good break, or atleast a break.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice rifle...

I got two but I wish I didnt buy more then 1.. oh well- live and learn- here they are...

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:45:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Real good collection there Shawn..

That trigger is easily replaced with a Tapco. Check into it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nice rifle...

I got two but I wish I didnt buy more then 1.. oh well- live and learn- here they are...

Lxpony - why was getting  two bad????  They look great!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Because for the money I used to get the WASR with the polish laminate I could have bought a brand new SAR3 or SAR1.......... both of which are currently selling locally to me for $400 (which is what I got that WASR for last May- I know- I spent too much

The one with the wire stock was only $250 brand new! but I sent it down to AKUSA to get refinished so have put about $400 too... they are nice- but I would rather a SAR1 for jus authenticity

5.45 is by far my favorite round but would never imagine getting an WASR2 since I already have 2 SARs and 2 Arsenal SLR105s....
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Couple of things to drasticlly improve your wasr are to remove the wood and scrub it with a paint and oil remover, then (optional) i reccommend it tho..........sand a very light layer of bare wood off, then re finish the wood with your choice of some quality light or dark wood polish then a few layers of some strong clear coat..........every thing just mentioned was done to my WASR by me and truned out great!!! also polish the bolt carrier with some blue and rush remover using steel wool to give it a nice shine also polish with aluminm cleaner to add extra bling.

ETA......I personaly think its standerd for WASRs to have several FTF when they are bran spankin new, mine did but runs perfict now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#8]
AR15 and AK47 ...........I thought it was an ARFCOM rule that we have one of each........

Enjoy your AK.   It's cheap, fun, and exercises your 2nd Amendment rights......By all means drive on
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Lxpony:  So where do you live that has SAR-1s readily available for $400?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
THere is a store that I visit sometimes during my lunch break that has a SAR3 BRAND NEW for $400 and there is a place about 15 miles from my house with a brand new SAR1 (well- not new but never fired) for $400 as well.. both have that weird little white tag around the trigger guard that Century put then all their rifles from the factory......

I guess there isnt as much of a demand for AKs in Mass...

I bought a brand new SAR2 from the same place that has the SAR3 for $400 about 6 months ago- it had been for sale there for 3 years before I finally bought it
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Couple of things to drasticlly improve your wasr are to remove the wood and scrub it with a paint and oil remover, then (optional) i reccommend it tho..........sand a very light layer of bare wood off, then re finish the wood with your choice of some quality light or dark wood polish then a few layers of some strong clear coat..........every thing just mentioned was done to my WASR by me and truned out great!!! also polish the bolt carrier with some blue and rush remover using steel wool to give it a nice shine also polish with aluminm cleaner to add extra bling.

ETA......I personaly think its standerd for WASRs to have several FTF when they are bran spankin new, mine did but runs perfict now.

Yea, I plan to rework the wood.  I've got it figured out now, and have been out shooting a little more.  It's alot smoother now and is working great.  

Fun rifle - I've been neglecting my AR.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I alo got a new wasr gp 10, I cant wait to get to the range, I have almost the same setup
wasr 10
bushmaster patrolmans carbine
Glock 30
Mossberg 590
and if all that fails my Doberman has my back.
just wondering is that a Glock 21 in your photo.
Doug
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, it's a 21.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I like my WASR-10. It's the low-end of the AK spectrum, but I expected that and was just happy to finally have an AK of any sort.

Finish is coming off in places and sometimes I'll get a magazine wedged into the well wrong and have to pry it out, thanks to the loose tolerances. Those are the only issues I've had with it. It's not had a single failure to fire and the next time I take it out to shoot I'll make sure it isn't set for 150 yards while shooting at a 25 yard target. Recoil was surprisingly mild, like a .30-30 with a recoil pad. Speaking of pads, I might add one to give the stock an extra inch or two; I could seat the rifle just fine but had to bend my head over to see the sights; I guess they weren't made for 6'3" Americans. Trigger was crisp, light,  and I didn't experience any "slap", so I guess I got one of the good ones. It's also nice having a rifle I can abuse without overly worrying about it.

I figure if I'm enjoying my WASR-10 this much then I'll REALLY enjoy one of the higher-end AK's. Unfortunately, the only non-WASR AK's I saw at the show where I bought my rifle were VEPR's that were $200 out of my price range and a Norinco Sporter that was $60 out of my price range and didn't appeal to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
nice picture, and welcome to the darkside. they're addictive, and they're cheap- which makes it ok.

i was looking at the wsar and it looks like there isn't a muzzle break on there, is there a reason for that? if you can, i strongly suggest a good break, or atleast a break.

WASR10s don't come with breaks atleast all the ones Ive seen haven't .  Some of them come with a thread nut spot welded over the threads and some don't even come threaded.  If he's lucky like I was he can remove the nut and screw a Romanian Break or any other break that has Romanian threads.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WASR10s don't come with breaks atleast all the ones Ive seen haven't .  Some of them come with a thread nut spot welded over the threads and some don't even come threaded.  If he's lucky like I was he can remove the nut and screw a Romanian Break or any other break that has Romanian threads.  

they certainly do come with muzzle breaks, especially now that the AWB is gone.  i was kind of curious about where he got the dated one from, but luckily for him, he can get the barrell threaded and fix it all up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I just fired my WASR-10 for the first time today.  I was happy with the results both FMJ and HP (Wolf) fed and fired flawlessly from the first round.  I was using 30 round Bulgrarian mags, they fit great (no wobble at all).  Trigger was smoother than expected and did not noticeably slap, accuracy at the fifty yard line was acceptable ( solid hits that would be center body mass on an individual).  All in all a trip to the range without problems.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they certainly do come with muzzle breaks, especially now that the AWB is gone.  i was kind of curious about where he got the dated one from, but luckily for him, he can get the barrell threaded and fix it all up.

Really I'm not sure.  I don't claim to be an AK expert by any means.  I was in our local "evil black rifle and pawn" shop to get some .223 and see if they'd gotten a Springfield XD45 ACP yet.  They didn't have the .45, so I was looking around and basically just decided on a whim to get the WASR.  Total impulse purchase.  

Anyhow, here's a pic of the muzzle.  It looks there might be a spot weld under the nut - where the arrow is in the pic.  Does this look like one that would be threaded?  If it is, I just need to cut the weld, screw the nut off, and replace it with a break, right?  

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Does that detent pin in the top push in and out? It should, but it looks like that nut was screwed down tight to the front sight base....If it is, you are going to have to remove the detent pin to turn the muzzle nut once you cut the weld...You might have to drift out the front sight base pin to get the detent pin out, it is held in place with that pin...once you get that nut off, and re-install the detent pin, you should be able to replace the nut with an aftermarket brake....REMEMBER...it's backwards threaded....righty-LOOSEY/lefty-TIGHTY....Good-Luck.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I have the same Gun and I thought I was sure it had threads under that nut so I put on that little small rust colored cut-off wheel on my Dremel and went to work. After carefully removing the weld and not any other material from the rifle the index pin finally worked as it had not before. The nut was just tight against it but when it was loosened it was freed from tension. When I removed my nut there where 14x1mm LHT.
I was happy; although they were sloppy threads. They were all straight, But when I installed two other brakes they were loose and had a wobble to them. Just stick with the original AK slant brake. I used an AK-74 style, and even with a fabricated washer behind it, the slugs were glancing of the end of the brake causing some problems when shot; Like three feet high and to the left. LOL I didn't notice this right away but afterwards it was quite evident that the bullets where hitting the brake. I seems that the threads on my gun are just a lil larger then they're suposed to be.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top