Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 3:41:53 PM EDT
Hi,
I am new here.
Just came from Gun show and got myself a new "toy" WASR-10 AK47
Always wanted to have oneheRight now I have one question:
How to stop Hi-capacity magazines from wobbling side to side???hinking.gif Is it possible?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a WASR but some mags fit my SAR better than others. The 30rd Bulgarian polymer waffle mags are usually tight also the looser mags seem a little bit tighter when there loaded.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Good question.

To my knowledge, all WASR's are modified at Century Arms International
( Century Arms ) and they are known for doing a fast and sometimes sloppy job.
I also own a WASR but I bought the single stack version for this very reason. I wanted to modify it myself in the future.

If some mags fit snug and some loose it will be more difficult to correct this problem. If they all fit the same, you might be able to modify to inside of the receiver by building up the magazine supports somehow. It's all trial and error; I would try to affix a small piece of metal on that little flange called the "magazine support" with a spot weld or very strong Liquid Metal or PC-7.
When this stuff hardens you can drill, tap and sand to shape, and if bonds to most surfaces very well.

After adding this metal, dremel it down little by little while test fitting till you get a nice fit to your Mags.

This is just an Idea I have never tried it or heard of it, although it might work great.

By the way, when I did the woodwork on my WASR it turned out nice, but if you decide to sand it to get the oil off, please wear a mask. I had a bad reaction to the wood dust that was saturated in that strange oil of unknown origin. I then stained in very dark 4 times then I hand rubbed several coats of BOILED linseed oil on to it as well. I didn't want that real shiny lacquer finish like most rifles have, as I thought this would be easier to maintain.

Keep us posted and toss in your photo updates.

Thanks,

Big Willy
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#3]
All that matters is whether or not your mags feed.  You will invariably have some wobble with some mags.  It can't be prevented as mag dimensions follow the same tolerances as the AK itself.  If the wobble is excessive to the point that it affects function then bring the rifle back where you got it or send it back to Century and let them fix it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Thatks Big_Bill for the idea, I might try it.
I will let you know about the results.
Looks like refinishing the wood will be my priority for now.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Great info on Romanian AK's on this site.

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml

My hats off to the guy who made this site.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
If the wobble dosen't affect the function of the rifle don't worry about it. Some mags wobble in my WASR but it hasn't failed to feed or fire in 3K+ rounds. AKs aren't like other rifles. If it ain't broke don't fix it! efinish it if you want. Otherwise spend your money on magazines and ammo. You'll need plenty of both.

Welcome to the Darkside.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thatks Big_Bill for the idea, I might try it.
I will let you know about the results.
Looks like refinishing the wood will be my priority for now.
Thanks

Thanks Zilvova,

It's quite true that the "mag wobble most likely won't effect the performance and feed of ammo, although I know it is bothersome. I imagine my self in the woods hunting (yes I do sometimes hunt with my AK) or in the unlikely situation of a tactical scenario, and my mags (click clack...clack click) announcing my location everywhere.
That in it’s self is quite annoying.

Good luck Zilvova.

Is that a Russian name?
Don't forget, keep us posted

Уильям out
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Iam from Ukraine...
Always wanted to have AK47 but you cant have them there in private hands... but here its not a problemhI will post pictures soon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Iam from Ukraine...
Always wanted to have AK47 but you cant have them there in private hands... but here its not a problem
I just started my collection with AK47(WASR10) and Russian M44 which is in my opinion is a great and powerful rifle. I really like the wood furnish on it and will try to get the same result on my AK
I will post pictures soon.

HI zilovova
The M44 is sweet.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top