Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/3/2006 1:27:22 PM EDT
On another site, I heard of a problem with WASRs feeding some ammo - particulary HPs.  I have shot HPs and they maintain the spitzer shape, so I don't know why some have trouble, but they do say that they have earlier WASRs with NO feeding "dimple" in the chamber ramp - unlike SARs.  I know my SA 85 has one of these dimple cutouts.  

1)  Anyone else have feeding issues with WASRs out there?  Did you resolve them?

2)  Do the newer WASRs have feeding "dimples" in the ramp?  

PS - I just looked at two early WASRs at a shop.  One had a very small "dimple" and seemed to have an easier time with the high cap mag insert.  The other had the folding stock and had no dimple and the mags were tougher to get in.  BOTH had muzzle nuts, not slant brakes, so I think they were "early".  I would think that ramping the chamber would be easy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
There's no dimple on my WASR, and no feeding problems, either. I bought this about 6 months ago.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:20:13 AM EDT
[#2]
NO FEEDING PROBLEM WITH MINE! Does anyone knoe if theyre imported as double stacks now because mine looks like it wasnt modified
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
NO FEEDING PROBLEM WITH MINE! Does anyone knoe if theyre imported as double stacks now because mine looks like it wasnt modified

no, they're still imported single stack and modified.

the wsar still doesn't have the dimples but there isn't any reliablity problem with mine or anyone else i know that owns one. i imaigne the lack of dimples has to do wit hthe width of the single stack mag and the fact that were they to be there, you would have to grind them back as well to fit the doublestack mag in the magwell. for this reason, they will and do continue to lack them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#4]
No problems like that with mine.

Sounds like a job for a dremel..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had a few problems with my WASR chambering hollowpoints...I had to modify the mags a little to correct the problem...there isn't any room to put in a feed ramp, the bolt is too close to accomplish this..I thought about alot of fixes for this problem, but the only fix that seems to have worked is bending out the feed lips of the mags a little, and then they seem to feed pretty reliably...I've never had any trouble with FMJ or Softpoint ammo, just hollowpoints.....I have had the problem of the bolt not closing all the way too, but that went away with more use....the hollowpoint feeding problem might go away too with a little more wear/slop in the action, we'll see.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my wasr about November 04 never had any feedind problems........but as of late the bolt has started jumping out of the receiver every time I shoot the thing ,but I took a recoil spring out of my romanian kit and put it in my wasr and now it works great again........also I have about 3-4000 rounds down the tube
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]
early wasers 10  came with single stack front trouins and centry did a bad job at converting to double stack  later waser 10's 2004 and 2005  imports came with a double stack trouions and seem to feed so much better  i have sar-1 waser- 10's   and they all work fine but the best rommies  are  the wum-1's with the straite back never a problems with them  in the past 10 years   ive got 3 them two i shoot 1 still in box  un touched
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:55:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks folks:

Seems like they are pretty reliable - wander if there were any problems with the SARs.

Interesting note about trunions.

My Hungarian SA 85 has a feeding "dip" in the chamber face.  There is plenty of room for this in all AKs.  It seems that you could do the job easily with a small file/dremel.  As I understand it these are in the older WASRs and maybe SARs.  Then no mod to the mag would have to be made.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]

My Hungarian SA 85 has a feeding "dip" in the chamber face. There is plenty of room for this in all AKs. It seems that you could do the job easily with a small file/dremel. As I understand it these are in the older WASRs and maybe SARs. Then no mod to the mag would have to be made.

I'd love to see a good pic of that....I've got a couple of Dremmel tools laying around here!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#10]
My 2001 WASR-10 has a small dimple in chamber to allow for better feeding, and I have shot all kinds of HPs and FMJs through it with no problems.  On the other hand, my brother's GP WASR-10 did not come with this dimple in the chamber.  It wouldn't feed HPs worth a lick and it would have problems every now and then with FMJs even.  So I took a dremel and made my own little dimple, or feedramp if you will.  Solved all the problems with FMJs at least.  Don't know about the HPs because I decided to dispose of that ammo with my WASR-10.  Bought it by mistake anyway, I wanted the FMJs.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#11]
got my Wasr about 2 years ago and it has no dimple on it either. Ive had no prob running 3k rounds of fmj through but I jammed on a hp. 1 jom outta 4k  aint too bad i guess considering im using the sitty wolf ammo lol.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:07:26 AM EDT
[#12]
the only ammo my wasr dosent like is brass cased.
 with well over 3000 steel cased ammo an about 500 brass cased ammo not one jam with steel case and 6 with brass, one of which was ammo related the primer was truck nothing happend except the primer was destroyed the rest of the round is still intact
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top