Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/29/2005 10:42:55 PM EDT
The Romanian threaded front sight base from K-VAR will NOT fit a WASR-3 without modification. The barrel dimentions of the WASR-3 is different from that of the SAR-3.

To make it fit, the ID of the FSB must opened up to roughly .545". Then the ID of the rear half of the FSB, from just in front of the frontmost pin hole to the rear of the FSB, must be opened to roughly 5.70". i.e. you'll end up with two different IDs, smaller in front and larger in back, with the transition point being just forward of the frontmost pinhole area.

Just thought I'd make it a matter of public record since I haven't seen this info posted anywhere else. (And since I bought a WASR-3 and a Romy FSB thinking it would be an easy and quick project with simple tools like on Linx's website...)

P.S. I'll be posting pics as soon as I can get access to a camera again. AK-74 brakes ROCK!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
that is because they are .223 bulgarian barrels(ie..slighty larger diameter than romy 5.45).  the bulgarian FSB should work, the smaller dimension is where the 14mm threads were turned off. you could have a gunsmith make a sleeve to make it all one diameter.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
that is because they are .223 bulgarian barrels(ie..slighty larger diameter than romy 5.45).  the bulgarian FSB should work, the smaller dimension is where the 14mm threads were turned off. you could have a gunsmith make a sleeve to make it all one diameter.

Not to be an ass but what credibile information is this based on? Is the WASR3 trunnions still 23MM, if so, I would speculate they are still Romanian manufacture.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Not to be an ass but what credibile information is this based on?

when you start a post like this it means you are really intending to be one.

i haven't seen it definatively one way or the other.  however, if you look at the facts it points that way.

1. the romanians don't produce a 5.56 barrel (prob have some prototypes , though)
2. the WASR 3s that i have seen have had 90 degree gas block, romania uses 45
3. the barrel dimensions he gave in the original post match bulgarian dimensions, not romy
4. the SAR 3s had bulgarian barrels so there is already a relationship there

they could also be russian or maybe polish, but i highly doubt it is romanian.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Correct
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not to be an ass but what credibile information is this based on?

when you start a post like this it means you are really intending to be one.

i haven't seen it definatively one way or the other.  however, if you look at the facts it points that way.

1. the romanians don't produce a 5.56 barrel (prob have some prototypes , though)
2. the WASR 3s that i have seen have had 90 degree gas block, romania uses 45
3. the barrel dimensions he gave in the original post match bulgarian dimensions, not romy
4. the SAR 3s had bulgarian barrels so there is already a relationship there

they could also be russian or maybe polish, but i highly doubt it is romanian.  

Still a speculative guess at best. Post like this have a way of becoming fact later down the road when it still is a best guess. You maybe right or maybe wrong. I had hope you had a factual reference to clear it up but the legends continue I guess?

My arguement is that labor and material are still dirt cheap in Romania. Why go to Bulgaria? The only way I would lean toward Bulgaria is maybe they had a hand in some engineering but like your assumptions are a best guess.

I like to deal in fact and not conjecture. So if challenging your assumptions makes me an ass, oh well.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Bulgarian barrel with Romanian trunion and bolt.  If Romania was going to take the time to tool up for 5.56 barrels then I would guess they would produce a 5.56 bolt instead of modifying 5.45 ones.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Please, don't you guys tell me that I could have saved myself all of this headache by going with a Bulgarian FSB!

AHH!!!!

Well, it's on there now. It's ugly, but it works and I like it. Now it just needs a refinish to cover up all my 5-pound mallet marks.

P.S. Does anybody know what the squigly or moon-shaped cuts that are present on the Bulgarian and Russian brakes do? I'm curious to know since my Romanian brake doesn't have any cuts there. Any major difference in function?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I threaded my wasr 3 14 by 1  left and put a gobal rpk brake on it looks nice and functions.h.gif
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#9]
i threaded my waser 3 and used a glouble 14x1 to 22mm so i can use my rommie break  and in my experince a stadererd rommie 74 bolt carrier cant be moded to fit a 223rommie gun it is a totaly differnt anniamal    
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:19:39 AM EDT
[#10]
A std 74 carrier can be used but it too must be modified for the Sar3.  The rom .223 bolt has two mods, fitting the bolt head to fit into the trunion and shortening the shaft length of the bolt. On the std carrier you will see that they shortened the "nub" on the back of the carrier. If you do not do this, to a std 74 carrier, then there will not be enough clearance for the hammer to travel and make contact with the bolt. You may also have to fit the hammer to ensure proper geometry with the bolt.  Its been about 4 yrs since Ive had a Sar3 but if I remember correctly those wouold be the only mods you need.  I got rid of all the Sar 3's I had due to the bastardization of "std" parts.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top