User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/30/2005 7:45:25 AM EDT
just a plaine jane romak???

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#1]
it would make a great truck gun.  the romaks i have seen have had pretty goo fit/finish as compared to the SAR or WASRs.  if it is still single stack they are prob only worth $200 +/-.  if it has been converted to high cap it depends on who did it and how good of a job, and if it is US parts compliant.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:52:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a WASR10 with a sidefolder as my truck gun.  The ROMAK is not too bad either.  I would also use and SKS but for me it is not a nice as a sidefolder.

Max
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
*** Not sure of the legality so YMMV *** *** This is for informational purposes only ***

Metal Folder for SKS

A Butler Creek metal folding stock for a Ruger 10/22 (I imagine Butler Creeks for other models would work as well) + the cheapie plastic SKS folder (Advanced or something like that) + an hour or less of work = one nice SKS with a metal folding stock.

It requires a dremel and a couple of fat wood screws.  The folding end is cut off the cheapie SKS folding stock. The area is dremeled or ground smooth and to the correct angle for the Butler Creek. I beleive the level cut is the correct angle, but I can't remember. The metal folding part is used from the Butler Creek stock. Small, shallow pilot holes are drilled in the cheapie SKS plastic stock and the screws are heated a little to assist in threading  them in.

The new stock holds up great. No loosening or anything after 1000's of rounds. It is usable in the folded position as well. Accuracy, when compared to the original wood stock, does not suffer when the stock is used in the extended position. If done correctly, the stock looks factory made that way. he
It might even be possible to do this with the wood SKS stock and a Butler Creek, but I never thought about it.

Edited to add: It has been a long while since I thought about the metal folder for the SKS. The Butler Creek mount might fit inside the Cheapie SKS stock folder mount with some dremel work instead of cutting it off level. Then a hole is made to match up with the Butler Creek button to collapse the stock. If I saw the two together, I would remember. All I know is that it ends up very solid, looks nice, and does work well. (If this post is in violation of anything, please delete it. AFAIK, it shouldn't be, but I am no legal expert.)
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess it mostly depends on whether you can facilitate a long magazine hanging out of the rifle with the space you have to work with.

That's why the SKS is such an attractive option for a truck gun. About the only use I could find for my Mini-30 before I sold that piece of crap was as a truck gun with a Ruger factory five round mag since I couldn't find a hi-cap aftermarket mag for it that was worth a wooden nickle.

If a long detachable mag isn't a problem for you, then run with "what you brung."
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
i live in illinois weapon cannot be loaded and has to be cased....

that said case the gun and mags seperatly 3 or 4 mags wouldnt take that much room...

BUT i like the sks option also"i have one"
so i wouldnt neep another weapon"would still like one "

hmm food for thought...

i live in the far west burbs of chicago but work just out side"5min exactaly"

and if ever "shtf"

it would be nice to have a rifle but one that i wouldnt cry over if it got banged up
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:39:02 AM EDT
[#6]

one that i wouldnt cry over if it got banged up

I think that is the actual definition of a Russian rifle...

Sounds like you're on the right track...

Let us know what you decide to do...
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top