Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/23/2005 12:15:27 PM EDT
I recently got a WASR-10 and a SAR 1. I was wondering how the accuracy was on them? Both of mine have the side optics rail and I am sure they are much more accurate witha scope or red dot than with the factory iron sights.  Also neither one of mine have threaded muzzles, would threading them and adding a brake help any? What are some other things I can do to improve accuracy a little?

Thanks,
Shawn
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
What ever you do, do not put a scope on your AK.
Buy a sight adjusment tool and zero your sights - it is amazing, but many people don't do this.
Also, check to see if the front sight is canted - I'm not a big AK guy, but I have heard some of the Romy guns have canted front sight blocks.
These guys will give you the specifics.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
some of the romys do, but from what i've seen. its not that big of a problem for canted FSB. add to that its easy to fix, and its not really a concern. as for how accurate the gun is.. that largely depends on you to be honest. how good of a shooter are you. i would expect 3-4" MOA on an AK at 100 yards if you can line up things on the iron sights. you can zero them all you want, but the biggest problem with the iron sights is how hard it is to accurately group at a distance because of the crappy sights. i group almost on top of each other at 40-50 yards but when i start shooting at 100 yards with open iron sights, i can't keep them near each other(relatively). i'm sure part of this is me, but those sights dont help.

i'm not sure how he does it, but those iron sights suck and at any distances to keep a level of accuracy and not just shooting for human size targets- its nice to have some form of optics. scopes are nice if you want to group nicely because it gives you something to look from a distance with.

i would say get the barrell threaded for other reasons.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
My GP-WASR 10 gets 2.5 - 4" groups at 100 yds with varying ammo.  I have mounted a BSA red dot on a BP-02 side mount.  It didn't realy change the accuracy much but does make for slightly faster hits, and gives the gun a bit of a low light advantage over the iron sights.

I wouldn't bother with a scope though, most ammo isn't really loaded to consistant enough specs, and the chambers tend to be a bit on the loose side for reliability.  

I also agree with the above post's recommendation that you get a front sight tool and sight in your iron sights.  This is how these guns were originally designed to be fired.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I get approx. 4" groups at 100 yards from a bench with iron sights using hollow point Wolf.

My front sight block is canted, so I have the front sight pin adjusted all the way to one side to compensate.

I'd say this is more than acceptable for what i paid.

The accessory rail mounted scope or red dot is your call. If ANYTHING, I would mount a red dot. However, I prefer to just keep it simple when it comes to an AK. But do what makes you happy!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I was just planning on something like a Kobra red dot, or maybe a 6x posp. I don't know why people are so against optics on a ak. No they probably weren't originaly intended for the ak, but do they work better? I think most people openly admit that the iron sights on the ak leave a lot to be desired. So why not use something that is better, more consistent, and easier to use in low light conditions. I was just wondering what the easiest way to somewhat improve the accuracy of these guns, and it seems that  optics is one of the easiest. Still looking for opinions though.

Thanks,
Shawn
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
There are things that can be done to an AK to improve the accuracy, but the cost may be prohibitive.   You have to consider what you are dealing with.  Is the barrel custom made, hand lapped with a bore variation of nor greater than .0005?  Nope.  Is the ammo carefully assembled using the highest quality components?  If not, you are probably dealing with GIGO as far as accuracy is concerned.

These are minute-of-a-man rifles.  To ask it to be something else while retaining all of the features and at the same price is unfair.

SRM
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top