Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/13/2005 4:16:46 PM EDT
Familiar with this rifle?  Normal .223 AK?  Magazines readily available?

Considering one for a trunk gun.  Trying to condense calibers....got TONS of .223 already.....

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#1]
could be one of the new wsars in 223?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Southern Ohio Guns FFL flier shows a Romanian AK-47 .223 Part # AK-ROM223
This Romanian model is in new condition and features pistol grip and hardwood stock.  .223 Caliber.  Barrel length 16", overall length 35".
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:10:14 AM EDT
[#3]
does it have a picture or anything, i'll put money that its the new wsar model.
if they do, check and see if it has dimples on it; if not, call and ask waht type of romanian rifle it is.
pretty sure they'll tell you wsar; simply because thats what is really comming in right now.
how much are they running it for?

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_Romanian_WASR-2_5.45x39_AK_Rifles.html

as for the magazines, i've seen a few different types in .223 if i remember right. think i saw some waffles on kvar even. haven't spent much time looking cause i dont have one. i did notice that the gun aim has is using a converted bakelite mag, so i'm not sure what they did to convert it, but that may be another option also.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
does it have a picture or anything, i'll put money that its the new wsar model.
if they do, check and see if it has dimples on it; if not, call and ask waht type of romanian rifle it is.
pretty sure they'll tell you wsar; simply because thats what is really comming in right now.
how much are they running it for?

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_Romanian_WASR-2_5.45x39_AK_Rifles.html

as for the magazines, i've seen a few different types in .223 if i remember right. think i saw some waffles on kvar even. haven't spent much time looking cause i dont have one. i did notice that the gun aim has is using a converted bakelite mag, so i'm not sure what they did to convert it, but that may be another option also.

That looks like it.  It isn't shown on the Southern Ohio Guns site.  I have access to an FFL and FFL pricing from SOG.  They're selling in their latest flyer for $329 or $319 for 2 or more...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a WASR 3 .223. I ordered one from Aim Surplus. Good price $329.00 and $12 shipping and my FFL guy charges me $15. so all in all not bad. They come with a tapco G2 trigger now...so that takes care of the trigger slap. No cants, everything straight and looks real good...better than the older ones. As far as mag dimples go so what...the first Chinese type 56 had no dimples....its no big deal. Dont let something so trivial keep you from buying one.

Out of the box:

A Little Modification:

Ive added a Romanian Folding Stock, Birdcage Flash Hider, New front wood and Hungarian leather sling and a wood pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I order one from SOG, and it is ok,  

NO dimples on it,

Two type of wood are on it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah I dont know what the deal is with the wood...laminated butt stock and ugly ass ash or birch???? front wood....Ive already changed the wood guards so no big deal.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Call and see if they have it in stock.  Their site lists PSL's as in stock, but when I called, they said they've been out of stock for a month.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
CAN'T BE, I JUST GOT MINE TWO DAY AGO.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Got what 2 days ago, an AK or a PSL?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It is a WASR 3 .223. I ordered one from Aim Surplus. Good price $329.00 and $12 shipping and my FFL guy charges me $15. so all in all not bad. They come with a tapco G2 trigger now...so that takes care of the trigger slap. No cants, everything straight and looks real good...better than the older ones. As far as mag dimples go so what...the first Chinese type 56 had no dimples....its no big deal. Dont let something so trivial keep you from buying one.

Out of the box:
aaahostmasters.net/Nor223/WASR3/wasr3a.JPG

A Little Modification:
aaahostmasters.net/Nor223/WASR3/wasr3new1a.JPG

Ive added a Romanian Folding Stock, Birdcage Flash Hider, New front wood and Hungarian leather sling and a wood pistol grip.

was it already threaded for a brake/hider?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#13]
So, its a decent rifle...cool.

Now for the possible problem....are magazines avail?  I'd always heard .223 AK mags are not readily avail, or are expensive.  Or you can fiddle/modify other mags to work (I'd rather not have to modify mags if possible).

I talked to SOG and they (the order taker/operators) didn't even know if the rifle came with a mag or not, nor if extra were avail.  I'd imagine it'll come with one mag.....

Input?

Thanks for the info thus far.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#14]
mags are anywhere from 12 to 15 dollars average...Chinese .223 mags are a bitch to find and there expensive. You can get red bakelite or metal wieger mags from germany. There easy to find.
MauserMark...barrel adapter with a regular 14x1 flash hider.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome.  Thanks for the additional info!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I talked to SOG and they (the order taker/operators) didn't even know if the rifle came with a mag or not, nor if extra were avail.  

Other more reputable and knowledgeable vendors (AIM Surplus and Centerfire Systems come to mind) carry the WASR-2s and -3s; I strongly encourage you to deal with them instead. I've never been anything but disappointed on those few occasions I've dealt with SOG.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice update Old Troop, many of our readers do not realize that the WASR rifles have metal splints/stays, welded inside the mag well that does that takes the place of the "Dimples", look inside your mag well, you should see them there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#18]
cadillacguns thats right.....Ive had SARs that the mags were looser in than my WASR. They all wobble alittle.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top