Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/12/2005 2:43:04 AM EDT
If I bought a Wasr-10 lowcap for $200 and a receiver flat for $12 how hard would it be to cut an area about the size of a dime out on each side of the Wasr and weld in the dimples off the receiver flat in the hole.

Do you think it would weaken the reciever too much?  A Sar-1 is nearly twice the cost of a Wasr and for $12 this seems simple enough but I am not a machinist or metal expert.  I have seen people fix a lot worse on cars body panels and I can refinish the rifle after the welding is done so that is not an issue.

Do you think that would be a better idea than just chopping down the "L" plates in the Wasr?

Can one of you metal experts out there make a jig or mold so that we can pull the "L" brackets out and press the dimples in as an alternative?  You could make a few dollars renting it out and I have access to a large press.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If its thats important that it have dimples just go buy a gun with them...all your gona do is FU something up. Buy a new reciever and build it up...kind of costly just for dimples.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]
As much as you would have into doing that, you would be better off finding a SAR1 used for $350 and using that receiver.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Why do you feel the need to have dimples any way? AKs work fine with dimples or without. AK are all about function not looks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I am just pondering and thinking.  I have no plan of action but I have noticed the Sar-1 with dimples are considered more desireable than the Wasr-10.  

A Wasr and a blank flat with the dimples presseed in it are about $225.

If you could get the welding done for free (I could) it seems as if it would make a Wasr lowcap exactly the same as a Sar-1 for $12 extra dollars.

Like I say just throwing ideas around and it seems pretty simple.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone should invent some of those peel-and-stick dimple decals like the bullet hole decals you always see at the gun shows.  Wasr owners would flock to your doorstep  ............  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Dimples or no dimples, a WASR-10 or any other AK is an 'AK VARIANT'.  It is an AK because of the basic reliable design and function.  Did the first AK-47 have dimples? or did it start with the milled and then the later stamped AKM's?  Is a Galil, Maadi, Vector Arms or any other AK less of an AK just because it is not exactly like the original Russian AK-47, M, or whatever?.  What are the 'correct dimple' sizes...I have seen all sorts.  In fact, none of the AK's we no account hayseeds can legally use are capable of selective fire-does that mean all our AK's are not 'real' AK's?  Of course not...they are semi-auto AK variants and all are different by degrees but all share the same basic Kalishnakov design and functionality-even the low-cap WASR-10, it is still an AK variant and is just fine as is.  The same thing goes for accessories.  If you want to be historically accurate, then you have to determine exactly which AK variant to research and still there will be differences.

I have a GP WASR-10 and it works great.  Cleaned off the cosmo with mineral spirits and Hoppe's.  Flushed out the firing pin, cleaned the barrel, trimmed off the disconnector tab, polished the FCG wear surfaces, added a BJ Buffer and Shepherd's crook replacement: all of about 1 1/2 hrs total without rushing.  30 rd hi-cap mags fit well with very little wobble, 5 rd hi-cap chinesse mags fit perfectly.  From the first shot it has functioned perfectly, has stayed relatively clean, and hits at poa with shotgun accuracy-what I expected and as designed.

AK's are fun, reliable, sound cool, and can be used for hunting just as a slug shotgun...but they are ALL AK variants.  So dimples or no dimples, hi-cap or low-cap, join the AK action and shoot some 7.62's.  Nobody is going to look for dimples or drums when that WASR-10 goes off.  Be good and be safe.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it could be done, would be costly though and there would be some problems with wraping the receiver. If it was me i would build a simple jig out of thin plywood to use as a guide in cutting the dimples out, personally i would use a plasma cutter with the jig. By using the jig you would get consistant cuts out of both the receiever and the flat, so when you go to weld the dimples in they are both the same exact size. now the welding part, it would have to be welded with low heat with a TIG welder, even with a low heat welder i would think it would warp the receiever to a degree where the bolt wouldnt slide properly, it would also possibly screw up the heat treating and would have to be reheatreated. Anything is possible and if you have a TIG welder and a plasma cutter and feel its necessary to have dimples on your ak then go for it. Personally i wouldnt do it and i'm pretty skilled in metal fabrication. I say open up the mag well, modify the trunnion if it needs it and shoot the hell out of it, dont worry about aesthetics.   McM
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Cheaper and easier to spot-weld in sheetmetal shims.  Century made an attempt to do this in the beginning but foyally F%&ked mine up (they didnt put a large enough bend in it to engage the mag body).  I dont mean to hijack, but does anybody know if its possible to spot weld 3 peices of metal together?  I want to weld a shim on top of the existing one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Welding in dimples is only for idiots like me who will pay Ted Marshall money to do it to your Saiga!
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top