Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:44:11 PM EDT
I have heard some people say they prefer some years of the SAR-1 over other years. What is the difference between all the years of manufacture and why are some more desired than others?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
do they even import SARs any more?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
No. That I do know.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't actually handled lots from year to year.  But from what I understand from others that have had more experience with them - Some years were better about not having canted sights and not-so-terrific US parts in them.  Some people prefer the latter years compared to the first year or two that they were imported and assembled here in the US.

When buying one, just be sure to check the sights for proper alignment and the gas pistons.  Some of those were kind of soft and will start to mushroom.  The barrels on some were in poor shape also.  If you do a good once over as you would any gun purchase - you should be able to spot any problems.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
i've heard is that the later ones had the muzzles turned down to small to be threaded to 14x1. supposedly all years had some rifles that were shipped with front site bases and/or gas blocks that were crooked, someone here even posted a pic of his with the front sight base on backwards
i've also heard that some had pretty crappy finishes.

over the last year i've bought two that were flawless and had untouched muzzles, definate keepers.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top