Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:53:28 AM EDT

Can someone supply the full names for these abbreviations, in Romanian please?  Thanks

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:46:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, nothing definitive here, I couldn't find a direct translation, but since I was bored before heading off to work, I found an online English-Romanian dictionary, hunted around a bit, and came up with the following hypothesis: My guess is that AIMS stands for Arma Individuala Mitraliera Scurt - literally "arm individual machine gun short", perhaps better rendered as "personal machine gun, shortened". Alternatively, the "a" may stand for "arme" - i.e., army, giving us "army individual machine gun", short. To be sure, sheer guesswork on my part. I could not find the thing referred to as an AIM or AIMS in any Romanian pages, but rather a "pusca mitraliera 63" and variations. Great question though, I've been wondering this myself.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Duuude..........How bored were you? Great work though. Kinda makes me think about the whole abreviation thing they do and what it all means. I never really thought that much about it. Good question, and great research for an answer. Thanks to both of you.........

Tint
(who is surfing the Internet looking for this stuff now )
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty bored. hed
By the way, you may note that the Romanian AKM was a "pistolul mitraliera", i.e., "submachinegun". The AK-74 variant was a "pusca automata", which means, I believe, "automatic rifle". Like the Germans with their MP44 and later AK-derived MPi-KM, the Romanians intitally classified the AKM, at least in name,  as a submachine gun despite its use of intermediate rifle-caliber ammunition. They abandoned this nomenclature with their adoption of the 5.45x39 round, but the Germans did not - as far as I know, the 5.45 German AK is the MPi-AK 74N. Possibly they did not like the "StG" (sturmgewehr, "assault rifle") prefix, originating as it did in the Third Reich.

So, does anyone actually know?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#4]
All that I can tell you for sure is that the "S" after AIM means that it is an underfolder (AIMS)
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's what I shamelessly plifered off another web-page.
I would guess that the "S" stands for speznas.

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top