Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 4:44:19 PM EDT
I'm not a HUGE AK fan, but have often thought of getting a .223 Ak since I saw one many many years ago that Keng was looking at importing from China.

I'd prefer an under folder or a side folder, but I ran into a very nice, like new inside, minor scratches on the outside Romanian SAR3, imported by CIA ()

Price looks right.

What can ya'll tell me about the SAR3 rifles?

Should I jump on it or run away>

Can I convert it to a folder?

How are magazines to find (recommend any?)

If I pick this up, it may end up in a Krink conversion down the road (if possible)

Thanks for any help you can provide
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Odd combo of Romy and Bulgy parts, as the Romanians do not make a 5.56 bbl.

Common misconception, I owned one, and I can say for a fact the barrel was NOT bulgarian, rather of romanian origin. If you look closely, there are subtle differences that set the mfg apart. I honestly beleive these were imported 100% romanian, and bastardized with US parts.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 SAR3's, a sweet rifle. Wieger mags are the only completly reliable ones out there. The REDSTAR hammer is a must also. They are a very pleasant shooter when equipped this way. Side folders are easy, unders are not, as stated earlier. Enjoy.........
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one and LOVE it...........the only thing I will add, is to check it out very carefully for  canted front sight and/or the  gas block. romainians are notorous for installing them crooked on the barrel, espeically on the SAR series. I sometime wonder if they didn't hire a bunch of drunks with bad vision and the DTs during that period they were making them.

all you need to do is hold the weapon at about arms length and sight down over the top of the action cover to the front sight.........everything should line up straight in a row from the top cover.

as for mags............the WEIGER mag is the best. the CENTURY modified 5.45 suck as is, because you can't load them fully without getting jams, about 15 rounds is the max you can load in them for reliable feeding...........however if you buy a .223 follower from ROBINSON ARMS and replace the 5.45 follower the mags will function fine when fully loaded ........I did those to the 3 I have, and they are just as reliable as the WEIGER
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one and It has spoiled me.  I love it.   Its cooler than an AR to shoot,  had to get a solution for the trigger slap, and when I got it it had exactly ZERO mags so had to one at a time em till my wiegers got here.   I did Ruin about 100 rounds of my new winch brass though,  these things are a reloaders nightmare,   I have never seen a gun destroy brass like my sar 3.  Its all I had at the time and I wanted to shoot it.  

heres a pic,   the top one is a WASR10 I converted and put the SAR Furniture on,  the bottom is a bulgy gun stock I think,  but its the SAR 3.  On a good note,  with good reloads my sar 3 will shoot under 1MOA.  but that being said if you have a 223 that wont you need to throw it in the tank.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Common misconception, I owned one, and I can say for a fact the barrel was NOT bulgarian, rather of romanian origin. If you look closely, there are subtle differences that set the mfg apart. I honestly beleive these were imported 100% romanian, and bastardized with US parts.

What makes you think the Sar3 has a romanian barrel?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes you think the Sar3 has a romanian barrel?

I think the real question is what makes people think a romanian rifle has a bulgarian barrel?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:30:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't add much to the discussion above except to say I have both a SAR 1 and SAR 3 and both are great guns....  I keep looking for a SAR-2 to complete the set but I hate to get hooked on a third cartridge.

The SAR-3 is a sweet low recoil AK...  I still like the 7.62x39 a little better but I would never sell my SAR-3.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top