Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/8/2005 6:44:20 PM EDT
Okay a friend of mine just bought a Century AK and the sight block is crooked the threads are all gnarled and have a huge cut through them.  We put a .30 cal 74 style muzzle break on it and the rounds were hitting the break so the threads are off too.  Anyone else have problems like these?  My 2002 is a great gun it doesn't have threads so I guess thats one reason why.  I've never had a problem.  My friends doesnt have the stamped dents in the reciever and he has plates on the inside of the mag well not sure why they did this.  He got it from ORF because we don't live to far from it.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks as if Century is adding these features in shop as opposed to actually replacing the correct parts or importing them as with the features installed.  One example is the bayonet lug.  Compare it to any real bayonet lug on another AK and you can see the difference.  It looks as if someone welded some material around the lug area and the dremeled it to fit a bayonet.  I can only guess the same goes for the threads since all of the 4 WASR 10 rifles I have had similar "features."
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Since this ruling all AK rifles have to be imported to use single stack magazines.
www.atf.gov/firearms/assault/treasrelease.htm
The rifles have L shaped spacers for the single stack mags spot welded into each side of the receiver.
Century Arms takes the WASR-10 rifles and cuts the mag well opening/spacers so the wider hi cap mag will fit. Doing this requires they add US made parts to get the number of imported parts down to 10 to be legal using hi cap mags. They add a bayonet lug and muzzle brake to increase sales.
It makes no difference where/who a Romanian rifle was bought from as Century Arms is the only one to import Romanian rifles since the above ruling. All of them have been imported and modified to use hi cap mags by Century Arms.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#3]
What about the SAR-1,2,3's?  Those were imported well after the date on that letter.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I have yet to hear of a product line from Century that is not riddled with problems.

You get what you pay for....
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:17:30 AM EDT
[#5]
That is a good question there Tyrone.
How they got around the ruling I don't know?
The only thing I can think of is they imported the SAR series of rifles as single stack mag rifles and converted them or as parts kits then assembling them here.
The first AK rifles Century Arms imported after the ruling were WASR rifles in 1998 that had the mag well milled out to use hi cap mags. In 1999 they imported the WASR-10 that used single stack mags and the SAR series of rifles. They imported the SAR series of rifles from 1999 till 2003. In 2004 they imported more of the single stack mag WASR-10 rifles and converted them to use hi cap mags. In 2005 they imported the WASR-GP rifles.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Century could have brought in SAR-1s as high caps if they were sporterised, with a thumbhole stock, right?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#7]
What about my MISR-90 (I think it's 90?) MAADI, I bought it in '99 from Classic Arms, it looks like an original double stack? Centry built it. It has functioned fine, but it has got to be the uglyest furniture I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps they did that for a while and then were told to stop?  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
From the letter:

The review was directed by President Clinton and Secretary Rubin last November, and stemmed from concerns that many new, dangerous semiautomatic weapons had been developed in the nearly 10 years since the last review.

"President Clinton and this Administration are committed to rigorous enforcement of laws designed to keep dangerous weapons off our streets," said Rubin. "With this decision, we can further reduce the flow of weapons that have no legitimate use in our society."

Surprise....

As far as the SAR's it was my understanding that they imported them as parts, then assembled them here, it's the same way Arsenal is able to get double stack recievers....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Century Wasr 10 Hi Cap and it runs great. However the finish is crap, the wood is crap, and the front sight needs a few hits with a hammer. It functions perfect though. I must have gotton lucky in that respect. All the mags work (10 mags from diff sources). I also own a Century built FAL on a Imbel rec.. It also works great yet was a bit rough on the cosmetic side. So I guess I got lucky twice. Both are being refinished and the WASR is getting new furniture soon.

Would I buy another Century rifle?   NO! The QC sucks and for every good rifle they build there are ten that are crap. Rough tool marks, messed up threads, bent or incorrectly installed front sights are the norm with Century.

My luck with them I feel is all used up.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top