Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/26/2005 2:29:51 PM EDT
I must plead guilty to not being an AK guy, but a buddy just bought one of these things and is having some serious issues.  the AKT-98 is  .22LR trainer for the RPK, a sweet little number and inherently very accurate.  It's designed to reproduce the rifle in most respects, it just doesn't have the gas system in place (looks like it does with the gun buttoned up, but no piston, etc.).  However he can't get the gun to feed if the mag has more than 3 rounds in it (out of 10 possible), and it runs away on him with most types of high or hyper velocity .22 ammo.

I have no clue about the mag issue, but I believe the problem with runaway fire rests in the lockup with the disconnector.  I think it's the disconnector anyway, it's designed to catch the hammer and prevent full-auto fire while the trigger's depressed (obviously leading to a legal, semi-auto rifle).  The problem seems to be that it takes too long for the bolt to push the hammer uner the disconnector, hence run-away.

It's really obvious how to MAKE the gun a full-time full-auto, I'm trying for the opposite effect: more secure lockup with the disconnector for reliable semi-auto fire.  Any suggestions how I can do this?  The fire control group, by the way, is theoretically the same as a standard RPK (hopefully a semi-auto version thereof in the case of this particular gun).

Any help I can get would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a fun plnker, I put a few goodies on mine, specifically, a tri-rail cover (had to grind it for clearance on the ejection port) with a laser and a red dot. I also put a cheap Tapco folding stock that I wraped in parachord on there to make it easier to move around. It's too top heavy to shoot practically with the stock folded but you can. Mine had major feed issues, I bought a couple of mags from SOG and, with a little light trimming to the feed mag lips, I've got it feeding semi-reliably. Since I bought my AKT-98 as a plinker I feed it mostly Federal Premium or CCI Blazer. I did use Remington Golden bullet but I had feed more feed issues and quite a fair number of double taps from the round not being strong enough to engage the disconector. Might be the same issue with the high velocity rounds. Not sure. Try the Fed, it's the second cheapest ammo I've feed it but I'm really impressed with the performance. I also really like the CCI for plinking.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure if it's the same FCG but the springs are definatley different...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Have your friend check the dust cover.  On mine, I could see where the bolt handle was hitting the cover.  This caused a little bit of friction that slowed the bolt down enough to not lock the hammer back, resulting in an occasional double tap.  I used my dremel to sand down the cover, and it fixed my problem.  

Thanks,

Brad
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top