Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2005 3:53:00 PM EDT
Whats your experiences with the SAR-3?
If you thread the muzzle, what thread would it be?
Reliable?
Pics?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I had owned one and it was very accurate and reliable. Like to get another . Best mags are weiger mags.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:11:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I own two. One has a Red Star trigger and the other a G2 set up. Both eat anything you feed them including soft points. Accuracy is very good and recoil is very light. Both have the AK74 style brake with the permanent adapters form IGF.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 5:41:35 AM EDT
[#4]
If nothing else is done to the rifle at least install the Redstar hammer that is specific to the SAR3. It will prevent possible damage of your bolt and firing pin.

Rick
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive got a thing for 5.56 AKMs. The SAR3s are pretty decent and have some advantages over other choices. They are surprisingly accurate - likely the Bulgy barrel.  As above, very reliable with  decently priced, available mags (Wieger - Interordinance still have any?).

On the other hand, they have crap, poorly fitted internals (easy fix as above). Finish, wood and metal, leaves a bit to be desired and often issue with canted FSB. Refinish or grab a stock set get some Norrel moly and fix the cant. If you're not careful tho, you can wrap up the cost of a SA M7 or built AK-102 - which might be a better buy. Least those two pedigree better - tho milled SA is no adv to me. They are no longer imported, but plenty around.

The barrel should roughly measure .50 inches. Easy enough to thread 1/2x28 - AR15 pitch, so you can use AR flash hiders. Vortex dont look bad, but you can score adapters for other more AK like FH.

Heres a source for threading kits. Someone on the EE rents them as well.

dynasystems-ltd.com/threadingkits.htm

Luck
Alac

Edit - I still need a Beryl
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 4:20:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got 3 SAR3's. All have the Redstar hammer & G2 fcg's. With Wieger mags, super reliable, pretty accurate as well. Wouldn't part with any of them.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Just noticed my Redstar hammer tracks to the left.  I hope this is not a problem in hitting the possible soft bolt unevenly.

Other than that, the last hundred rounds ran faultless using my plastic AK74 mags with "Robarms" followers.  My only worry now is not being able to get spare parts, like the bolt.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Reliable?
Pics?

Nice weapon. But pray you don't need a new bolt or other .223 critical part.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Reliable?
Pics?

dupe
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Couldnt a Bulgarian bolt be modified to use in the SAR-3?

Quoted:

Quoted:
Reliable?
Pics?

Nice weapon. But pray you don't need a new bolt or other .223 critical part.
www.ultimak.com/gallery/img07.jpg

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Couldnt a Bulgarian bolt be modified to use in the SAR-3?

the bolt on a SAR 3 is shorter then one for 5.45. and looking at the 2...the bottom of the bolt is bit different as well the left lug is shorter........those probably can be modified, but the biggest thing would be where the round fits into the bolt....it's way too lose. there ain't no way to modify that
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The inability to get spare parts scares me. I like my SAR-3, and it's been reliable and fairly accurate, but should a part fail, I basically have a paperweight...........how often is a bolt likely to fail?  
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top