Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2005 9:58:14 PM EDT
I got a WASR-10 a while back, I have noticed that sometimes the bolt carrier and bolt will "hang" when cocking, but ok while shooting. I compared to a friends, and it seems the rivet just in front of the hammer is a tab bit wider than my buddy's. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this?
We cut off the rivets and used a part from a local Gunsmith which is supposed to be a US part that is the equivalent, and the guage is fine now, and no "hanging".

Thanks,
Walter
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine does this also.  I just figured that it's new and needed to get broken in.  Shooting has helped greatly but it still does this from time to time.  I don't worry about it.  I need to fix the damn trigger slap though!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:10:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The hanging back I think you talking about is the bolt riding over the trigger group. Which is really normal in these rifles. But when fireing it is fine. As far as guage and cutting a rivet out??? I haven't a clue to what your talking about. WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Not sure how you are cocking your gun but with all semi autos you should pull the bolt all the way back and let it fly forward on it's own force. I've found most semi autos will hang up if you don't let the bolt fly forward. In other words don't ride the bolt.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I am an experienced shooter, owning nearly everything in semi-auto with the exception of a pump, lever, and a revolver.
I do not ride the bolt carrier, and I fully apply rearward pressure to actuate the bolt carrier.
There is what is called a "Cross-member" rivet, it goes all the way through the WASR10 and pretty much ALL variants of the AK, if it is not gauged right, for example, too wide, the bolt can "jump the rails", or too tight, the bolt will hang.
I found out it is a manufacturing defect. The new rivet, which is actually two, one hollow and the other goes inside of the first, is the rivet that goes all the way through in front of the hammer.
I have been doing lots of research with my local G.S. about this the last few days.
It seems to not be a common flaw, but if it does happen, TAPCO has the rivet for just a few bucks, and it is nothing to replace, just gauge it properly while installing.

Thanks for the advice though,
Walter
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top