Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/29/2004 2:53:42 PM EDT
Well I'm refinishing my cheapo wasr-10 and there are a couple small chunks missing in the lower handguard. I steamed up as much as I could using linx310's tutorial but there is still noticeable dents where wood is missing.

Should I use filler and take the chance that the stain will look crappy in those places?

Or should I say screw it it just gives the gun character!

Let me know what you think!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You could always do what I did.

Replace the handguards with Ironwood units. These are a US made product. So I was able to maintain my parts count while adding a red bakelite Romy pistol grip.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
That furniture sure looks awesome. I can't afford that at the moment so I'm just gonna end up staining the original wood for now. I just need some input on filling the gouges or not. I'm leaning towards leaving them alone rather than having different colored spots in the wood.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.

I think I would go with not filling. Unless you knew the filler would take the stain.

Besides, slight dents build character and give it "used" look.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Most wood filler sucks. A lot of them are non-stainable or won't harden. However, you can make your own. All you need is a glue that dries clear and some shavings / dust from the wood of the rifle. Mix the two together and you have your own filler. You'd probably want to do some research on the glue / stain your using (either online or test it somewhere first) to see how they react together.

Otherwise, just say 'screw it, it adds character'.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Even the wood fillers that state they are "stainable" usually are not.

Buy a new set of grips.  They are not pricey and normally available on the EE.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Bob, I still can't get over how fucking nice that AKM is.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks EH.

You know what's sad about it though?

I still haven't shot it in the new configuration yet.

I got it put together the week before elk season, in fact I have only one coat of tung oil on the handguards. So there have been only 4 days in the past two weeks that it hasn't been raining.

I haven't even had a chance to use the Bulgy mag either.

One of these days...one of these days.

Let me resay that. I've shot it a couple of times since I've installed the gas block and slant brake. But forgot to take the bayo with me.

I just haven't shot it with the Ironwood handguards and Romy pistol grip.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Well I found some elmers wood filler and went at it. It stained well and unless i told you where the filler was it would be hard to pick out. So I think it was worth it. I like looking at that furniture Bob!
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top