Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 7:11:47 PM EDT
I'm thinking of getting one. I need a EOTWAWKI gun. I can't afford a m1a, FAL, etc.

An AR build woud be close, but I am having to sell "stuff" to not go in debt to get what I need. I could build an AR, but the $$$ would be spent with no ammo, one or two magazines, etc.

SO, my questions are:

1) I have heard there are magazine problems with the spot the importer didn't "wallow out" properly. Once you did the procedure mentioned on some posts, did you STILL have problems with the magazines fitting? If so was it certain types of magazines, or sporadically with all kinds? What magazien works best in your gun?

2) how is the accuracy in your gun?

3) Have you had any problems? any failure to feed, magazines falling out for no reason, canted sights, stuff just breaking, etc?

I'm especially interested in hearing form those that bought from Classic arms on the quality of gun they got.

Thanks,

Greenranger

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
my 2 10rnd mags don't fit (had a little trouble fitting one of them in the mak90 even)  I don't have a 20rnd (kinda want one actually), but my 30, 40, and 75 rnd mags fit fine.

The guy I bought it from bought it new and said he's put about 100 rnds through it.  I fired 20, sighting in my pso (1 i think) 4x24 scope.  Hit a little high at 50-60 yrds with the elevation maxed.  Moved to 400yrd gong and it was almost dead on (scope about 3 clicks from being maxed)   My only real concern is the bullets hitting too high, i'll have to work on the scope to get it lower.

Unfortunately I only had 20rnds with me so soon as I did 1 more adjustment with windage, I ran out.  Will have to try again tomorrow or something.

Functioned fine and quality seems fine (wood has thin matte finish and seems to be absorbing dirt) so i might refinish it, but I'd like to stay with the matte look.

I don't know who the guy bought it through.  (I bought it through a friend that knows the guy at work, he saw the papers but forgot to get them for me.)

Also I don't know if the stock came like it did, he put on a different one, or he did some cutting on it.  I haven't seen any AK clone yet with this stock.

I gonna post a pic of it soon as I figure out how or find hosting or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:12:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a side-folder WASR-10 sitting in the safe that I haven't had time to fire yet. The cost was $349 from Military Gun Supply. It seems a little heavy for a stamped AK, but to me that's a good thing. No noticable cant. It's the perfect legal length when folded (26 1/4") and it feels very sturdy. The finish of the parts is very rough compared to Hungarian or Bulgarian AK's, but that's just cosmetic. The action is as smooth as I have seen on a new AK. That might be due to the fact that it has the original Romanian receiver on it. It also has the side scope mount on it already, that's a big plus. The only thing that might be a concern would be that there is no brake or flash suppressor on the barrel. If it gets a rough treatment over time maybe the crown would get messed up. The mag well works fine now. The edges were kind of sharp so I smoothed them with a file. All I have are 30-rounders plus the 40 it came with, but they fit well. One of the polish ones seems to be a little tight on the release lever. Sometimes you have to bear down on it a little to release it, but that might be because it's new.

All in all it's a great deal for someone on a budget. Where else would you get a new side-folder AK with a scope mount for $349 that you didn't have to build?

Hey 62GMC, are you really hitting targets at 400 yds with an AK? That sounds more like a ROMAK-3 range!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a good bench rest I was using with my mak-90 for 400yrd shooting with open sights.  That was at an 18in. gong though.  Hit like 4 out of 5.  I haven't tried that for a few years now.  Been in germany and other places.  Now there's a 1ft and a 5in gong to try for.

The pso-1 works great on the wasr-10.  I guess I should take it back there again tomorrow since I didn't have enough rnds last time.  I put a few rounds at the 1ft gong, hit a tad to the right, made an adjustment and realized I was out of ammo.

That is with cheap russian ammo.  I got a few other brands that might do better yet.

It's not hard with a good rest though.  I was shooting a beretta mod 21 (22LR) at the 1ft at 400 once and was missing it by inches.

The problem with the high bullet impacts bothers me though, anyone else have that problem?
Only thing I can think of is to mod the lower part of the scope.

Also I'm planning on getting a romak3 next, with an 8x42 scope
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Classic Arms is just a wholesaler and the rifles they have are the same ones as anyone else selling WASR-10 rifles. All WASR-10 rifles are imported and modified to use hi cap mags by Century Arms. The quality control on these rifles is pretty bad and if you buy one make sure to look it over REAL CLOSE.
I have looked at 4 of them so far and all had the front sight,gas block,and/or rear sight canted. The part(s) that were canted and amount of cant was different on each rifle but all had one or more canted parts.
The one WASR-10 that I shot had the rear sight canted slightly. Not enough to be unuseable but you did notice it. The mag well was opened up a little to much in the rear and if the mag was not held in the center the tang on the back of the mag would hit the ears on each side of the mag catch. Where the red arrows are pointing to.

The shiny specks in the pic are not from the use of my cheap camera but metal shavings left over from Century Arms cutting the mag well wider to use hi cap mags.  European and Chinese 30rd mags and Chinese 75rd and 100rd drums were used in the rifle. All the mags/drums could be wiggled from side to side but worked 100%.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one a couple months ago for my daughter.

To make the magazines fit I had to take a file and open up the mag well a little bit back by the catch

Other than that it is a good rifle, no problems recorded yet
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You may want to check out the WASR10's for sale at
www.ohiorapidfire.com

Ohio Rapid Fire cleans up all of their WASR10's and charges you a little extra.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I MANAGE A GUN SHOP IN CENTRAL FL ABD I OWN A WARS 10 AND I HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING;

TOOK A FILE AND SQUARED THE MAG OPENING, I HAVE 10, 20 AND 30RND MAGS AND THEY FIT WITH NO PROBLEMS AND THE DONT FALL OUT.

EVEN BEFORE I SHOT THE GUN I ALTERED THE SEAR AND HAVE NEVER FELY ANY TRIGGER SLAP.

OVER SAND BAGS WITH A RED DOT IT6 WILL SHOOT 2" @ 100YDS OFF SAND BAGS. I RATHER SHOOT IRON SITES AND I CAN SHOOT 3" GROUPS @ 50 YDS. I CAN ALSO HIT BOWLING PINS @ 100 YDS. - ALL WITH WOLF  HP.

I DID THREAD THE BBL FOR A SLANT BRAKE AND REPLACED THE FURNITURE WITH RUSSIAN PLUM TAKE OFFS FROM K-VAR.

I SHOOT THIS GUN WEEKLY AND HAVE OVER 1000 RNDS THROUGH IT WITH OUT ANY PROBLEMS. GO BUY IT AND HAVE FUN AND A SERIOUS ASSAULT RIFLE.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#8]
cant give the detailed recommendations like the other guys as the whole ak thing is new to me.
picked up a WASR10 LO-CAP about a month ago and its great.
Sights are straight, no thrigger slap and the mag fits nice and snug.  I haven't shot it over 50 yards yet, but @ 50 its tearing tin cans in two.
The finish was pretty crappy so I stained it in an onyx and put a gloss clear coat over that.  Still trying to figure out if I like it this way though.
I say ya can't go wrong for the $$.  Get One!
Spikentyke  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
cant give the detailed recommendations like the other guys as the whole ak thing is new to me.
picked up a WASR10 LO-CAP about a month ago and its great.
Sights are straight, no thrigger slap and the mag fits nice and snug.  I haven't shot it over 50 yards yet, but @ 50 its tearing tin cans in two.
The finish was pretty crappy so I stained it in an onyx and put a gloss clear coat over that.  Still trying to figure out if I like it this way though.
I say ya can't go wrong for the $$.  Get One!
Spikentyke  

you actually bought a low cap?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:05:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I know....It sucks in NJ.  Thats what they had in stock and no Hi-Caps were coming in.  Over in PA there was a series of additional paper work to fill out so I said screw it.   Not to mention I couldn't wait and HAD TO HAVE IT TODAY, ya know?  
Sooner or later it'll be converted over (more like sooner).  The thing shoots like a dream though!
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#11]
make sure if you ever convert it to use quality US made Fire control group like RSA or Tapco or else your stuck with crappy CIA guts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I picked up a Wasr 10 hi cap this summer and love it. Youll never have to worry about it working.
All the parameters of the AK have some play to them, thats why they work in so many conditions.
Keep in mind that everything about the gun is fairly easy to work with whether your a gunsmith or a plebe. Parts are EVERY/ANYwhere and affordable on most any budget. The Romys are unfinished so from day one you can start getting into the gun by finishing the furniture. Then there are side folders, mags, drum mags, muzzle breaks, FCG's, Scopes, cheap ammo, and lots of fun and accurate for anyone needing to take someone down at 100yds. Worth every penny of the 320$ I bought it locally for. This gun will not dissapoint you.

On the mags-Id get only the steel ones. Before Id do anything to the mag well or catch, mags are cheap and all are different. All of my mags I had to file some off the catch and then they fit neat and sweet with a firm click and released very easy. I did file a little off the well spurs, but it really wasnt a factor in fitting the mags on my gun.

Get a Wasr and start enjoying
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top