Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 10:09:32 AM EDT
I hope you don't mind, but I'm borrowing from a thread you posted on elsewhere concerning trigger work on the SAR-1(trigger slap)...

From the AK files:

"It(SAR-1 trigger slap) does not seem to be as bad as it was and it varies from shot to shot. I'm wondering if I took off enough material from the bottom of the disconnector, near the spring hole."

You answered:

"remove some more material from the disconnector and radius a blend into the vertical surface.

you might want to get a couple of spare disconnector springs and experiment with shortening the spring a quater coil to half a coil."

Can you please elaborate a little??? In specific, are you referring to removing some more material from the bottom of the disconnector where the spring fits into??? Also, could you please describe in more detail how to "radius a blend into the vertical surface."??? It would be a great help...

My trigger pull is pretty good on my SAR-1, but I still have a little trigger slap that's annoying...  I'm sure the Redstar trigger group would cure it, but I'm currently saving for another rifle, and don't want to put any more money into my SAR-1 if I can avoid it... Thanks for any help you can offer...

- georgestrings

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey George,

I'm not Campy, but I slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

Check out this link. It even has pictures. And a lot of other useful stuff.

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/slapfix.htm
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Seen the link - that's not what I was asking about - I was being a little more specific - thanks, anyways...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I've read that a double armed trigger fixes some trigger slap.  I know that you don't want to spend any more money, but does anyone have experience with this being true?

Turby
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#4]
 Still got a little slap?
 Look at the top of the trigger itself.  You are looking for shiny spots, signs of peening by the disconnector.
 After doing the grinding deal on my disconnector
I still had a little slap.  I did some stoning on the top
of the trigger where the disconnector was still striking it.  Easier to comprehend if you remove the trigger and disconnector and reinsert the pivot pin and push down on the disconnector to se where it MAY be hitting the trigger.  Tread lightly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#5]
msh - Thanks for the advice - I'll look into it... Good advice to "tread lightly" - after all, it CAN be a little tough to put metal "back on", hahaha!!! I've reduced my trigger slap by following the instructions on the link, but haven't yet cured it all - the pull itself is pretty good(a little long, but smooth, with a fairly clean break) - if I can cure the last bit of trigger slap, I'd be a happy camper... Hopefully, Campy will pipe up soon with advice about this radius he was referring to - I have a feeling that's a step in the right direction, and don't want to butcher any parts if I can avoid it...

Fruit - sorry if I seemed a little short with you, I didn't mean to be that way...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey, not a problem George.

I cured the slap pretty good in my rifle by using the link. I just kept taking more off until I was satisfied. YMMV. It may have some room for improvement, but it's definately okay for me. For now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for going into further detail for me,Bob - I appreciate it... I suspect the corner created by lopping of "the tail" is the main culprit... I already did shorten the spring slightly, to prevent coil bind - and am careful to test it out with only 2 rounds loaded, and in a safe place - incase of doubling(or worse)... You're absolutely right to give words of caution regarding fooling with the disconnector spring - keeping the rifle in safe working order has to be the #1 priority in this case... I still may invest in a Redstar trigger group, but not right now - besides, the Century parts that came with it break pretty clean, so if I can get rid of the last of this trigger slap, I'll be all set... Thanks again, and I'll let you know how I make out...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:08:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:40:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, Bob - I appreciate the help.. I'm thinking that rounding off that corner will most likely take care of it... I also noticed that in the pic on the link, that the "real" disconnector is slightly rounded out(dished out) in the area between the spring hole and the axis pin hole - I'm going to take a closer look at mine today, and try to duplicate the "real deal" a little better... As for the polishing, I did that the 1st time through this - that's one of the reasons why I'm trying to work with this group instead of buying the Red Star - even though I know the Red Star group is a fine set, I'm getting a nice pull with the Century junk the SAR came with - it's pretty smooth, and has a nice break - and that's coming from a model 700, and 1911 owner(couple each) and fan - so I know a good trigger when I squeeze one - and this one isn't bad at all...If I can make this work, that's nearly $100 more towards my FAL fund(by not buying the Red Star - although I'll probably buy one some day, anyways - hahaha)... I shall endeavor to persevere -  It sure is nice to have a fine resource like this place available...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#11]
 Radius the corner.  Another good item for the Ak Arcania Notebook.  Thanks.  Good thread.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top