Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2003 11:03:07 AM EDT
The question of installing a plastic stock set on an AK has been asked several times on this board, but the responses have some ambiguity about them. So, I am asking this question again and am identifying the area of ambiguity.

I have a plum stock set purchased from K-Var which I plan to install on an SAR-2. I purchased several of their new, improved screws to do the installation. I need to make an initial indentation or starter hole using a drill.

My first question is: what is the depth of the hole using the K-var screws as opposed to the original Romanian screws which are tapered wood screws? Is the hole the length of the screw? Some posters have said to be careful not to drill all the way through the stock which suggests that the hole might have to be of considerable depth. The technical person at K-var says all you need is an initial starter hole - you do not need to drill out the entire length of the screw. However, these K-var screws do not come to a sharp point so will they be able to bite into the material?

My second question is what the diameter of the starter hole should be. Some posted answers have been 5mm and 5/32 inches which are almost the same size. However, what I don't recall reading from these posts is whether these diameters apply to the tapered wood screws or the flat bottom K-var screws. The guy at K-var said that the starter hole needs to be only about half the diameter of the screw shaft.

I would like to hear the experience of anyone who has installed a plastic stock using the new, improved K-var screws.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Campybob:

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

Seattlekayaker
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]
My 5/32" holes were for the flat-bottomed screws from K-Var. The "new and improved" screws that is.

I just put the screw up to the drill bit and marked the depth by putting a piece of tape around the drill bit at the right spot. Crude but it works.

The synthetic is "soft" and if you aren't careful you can drill all the way through the stock, so go easy.

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top