Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/5/2003 6:24:28 PM EDT
i have an SAR1 (2000 model).  it has been extremely inaccurate from day one.  in addition to shooting so far to the left that i had to adjust both sight in opposite direction, it groups very irradically (in fact, "groups" is probably the wrong word).  well, i broke down today and took it to the smith to have the crown inspected.  his diagnosis was "piss poor", he's gonna re cut it.  hopefully, this will correct the problem.

i know i'm not shooting the best ammo wolf & barnaul, but i'm a decent shot and wasn't able to keep 5 rounds on a plate from a bench at 100 yds (at 50 it's damn near a one holer).

if this fixes the prob, i'm gonna want to attach somethin to protect the new crown.  i don't care about the actuall reduction in muzzle rise, i just want a brake system that's sturdy and doesn't (negatively) affect accuracy. suggestions?

i get it back around mon/tues next week, i'll let y'all know how it goes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
it still sux.  i printed one nice group 5", but as the barrell gets warmer, it opens up to about a foot.  rather than measure group size by feet, i think i'm giving up on this rifle and building an AR.  i can take my friends Bushy a make a 2 or 3 incher just playin around.

i hear alot of good things about the SAR, i guess i just got a lemon :(
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]
If you still want an AK check out some of the more expensive brands like VEPR, Arsenal Inc and even the SEAK that's going on. They are all excellent quality and are more accurate too.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i have an SAR1 (2000 model).  it has been extremely inaccurate from day one.  in addition to shooting so far to the left that i had to adjust both sight in opposite direction, it groups very irradically (in fact, "groups" is probably the wrong word).  well, i broke down today and took it to the smith to have the crown inspected.  his diagnosis was "piss poor", he's gonna re cut it.  hopefully, this will correct the problem.

i know i'm not shooting the best ammo wolf & barnaul, but i'm a decent shot and wasn't able to keep 5 rounds on a plate from a bench at 100 yds (at 50 it's damn near a one holer).

if this fixes the prob, i'm gonna want to attach somethin to protect the new crown.  i don't care about the actuall reduction in muzzle rise, i just want a brake system that's sturdy and doesn't (negatively) affect accuracy. suggestions?

i get it back around mon/tues next week, i'll let y'all know how it goes.

My SAR1 can consistently outshoot my wifes SAR2.  I'm using Barnaul and she has Wolf.  Hers also makes slightly eliptical holes.  I'm thinking of having our gunsmith look at it, the crown to me looks bad too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hers also makes slightly eliptical holes.

Are the bullets key holing or is that the shape of the groups?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 3:32:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Their not a true keyhole, but their not perfectly round holes like everything else we shoot.  The holes are slightly longer sideways than they are top to bottom.  Each hole looks that way and these are not multiple holes from 2 or more rounds.  I'm going to try a different brand of 5.45x39 that I bought a box of to see if its maybe the Wolf ammo.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top