Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2003 9:56:51 AM EDT
and I dont mean the hairy pitted women

I have two SAR-1's and I love them both.
put dinner on the table last night with one of them.

both are the standard variety
the 1st has the laminated furniture (2003 model)
which I sanded and steel wooled then sealed with Polyeurethane.
the second has a plain jane wood(2002 model)
it appeared coffee had resided on the butt stock so all I had to do was steel wool it and oil the stock.

both are beautiful

Gary
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I have only one SAR-1, so that's the one I prefer.

Mine has the laminated stocks. I sanded them down a bit. Stained them with a cherry color and used tung oil. They look much better now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the SAR-2 batter. Fit and finnish are about the same as the SAR-1, but the caliber, and the ability to put the AK-74 break on makes it a much nicer shooting rifle.

Don't have an SAR-3.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the std wood over laminate. BUt a few weeks ago I saw a Russian laminate gun which was great color and finish.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Well seeing as how I cant pick the hairy armpit girls I'll have to go with my latest SAR 1. I stripped the stock and stained it red oak and a few coats of polyureathane, damn it looks great. It has 2 evil sisters, another SAR 1 and a WASR Hi-cap to go along with it. Guess you can tell I like them all.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#5]

I like the SAR 2 but my SAR 3
     is'nt bad looking compaired to
     the WASR-10 I just got sat. from
     SOG. I think its the uglyest AK
     I've ever seen.It was suppost to
     be a SAR 1 but I got WASR 10?
     I'm going to keep it as a fixer upper.

dixieboy
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with a SAR-2 here, just love the little caliber.  I did dress her up a bit with KVAR plum color (plastic) 4 piece stock set.  Bought a Red Star trigger set but I am fairly satisfied with the  standard trigger so it has not been upgraded yet.

You guy that refinish the as issued wood furniture, you guys are the real heroes (especially when it comes out nice!).   I may pick up a SAR1 with laminated stock if I can scrape up the cash before they are all gone, that is.  I would love to set up a SAR-1 with a drum magazine just for the bad-ass factor alone!
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got a '03 SAR-1 with a laminated stock.

My first thought was "This stuff has to go. Let's hit up k-var for some good ol' black plastic furniture."

But it's starting to grow on me. I'll probably replace it in a little bit anyway. Dunno what I'll do with the wood.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#8]
The laminated stocks look real nice, but my concern is will the laminate last or will it start to peel off after some time?  
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The laminated stocks look real nice, but my concern is will the laminate last or will it start to peel off after some time?  

With a few coats of either Tru oil or Tung oil it should weather very well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#10]
As far as Romanian AKs I've got a WUM-1 with straight receiver and a SAR1 with laminated furniture.The WUM-1 has the forward pointing vertical laminated lower hand guard with a fixed open Romy folder,the overall fit and finish are better on the WUM-1.I've mounted a Russian PSO 4x24 scope on the SAR-1.Its hard to pick a favorite!
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]
My WASR 10 is the ugliest...cheapest make AK I have ever seen-owned...ahhhh...but it shoots like a dream! With a "fun factor" of 8 on a scale of 1 thru 10...how frustrating! Cost a fraction of my AR!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:14:44 AM EDT
[#12]
They're All GOOD !!! Just shoot and have fun...
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top