Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/5/2003 7:34:09 AM EDT
Anybody use the synthetic stock sold on K-Var? They have them in black, OD, and Plum. Plum sounds interesting. Anybody know what that color really looks like?

And they're on sale through tomorrow....10/6
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought the black set, and a friend of mine bought the plum set. Both are really nice looking, and very high quality compared to other sets out there. K-Var's upper and lower both have heat sheilds...you will thank them for that. I bought a custom forend from another company that melted after 350 rounds!!! Sucked getting the plastic off everything!
K-Var is really a great company...the last time I called the guy on the other end had a Russian accent...just made the transactiopn that much cooler!!! HAHA!
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#2]
is there a specific KVAR set that fits the SAR1s?
or do they all fit all AK variants
Im interested too in either plum blakc or the cool olive green
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The only sets I've seen offered are based on receiver type. Forged or stamped. I haven't seen an SAR specific set. Anyone else know?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
so am i safe to assume that any ones marked stamped receiver will fit on my SAR1? I clicked on the romanian section and its all wood furniture
I am new to the AK rifle so I for one am not sure
I want to hook up this SAR1
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The Romanian is a stamped receiver so the stamped sets will fit. Like all things some minor adjustments may need to be made. But this is no different then an AR. I have some GI A1 stocks that required some minor fitting to work on my Bushmasters, and I have a set of Cav Arms handguards that I had to do some filing on to get to fit properly.

Don't be afraid of an AK. Twenty million commies couldn't foul it up, you can't either.

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:31:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one of each color.  The plum tends to vary slightly in color by the lot it seems, but it is still an interesting color.  It looks different in different light so it is hard to say exactly what it looks like.  

The OD green is made of a slightly softer material.  Not that you would ever notice, but they are softer.

The black is quite nice and evil looking as well.

All of the stocks will fit the type of receievr they state they are for.  Due to manufacturing differences, some fileing may be needed.  I have had to do very little filing on stocks going on SAR-2's.  SAR-1's seem to need a good dealof filing, but it isn't more than 15 minutes worth of work - worst case.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Hope you don't mind, I'm gonna quote myself from another thread that is running right now in the AK Discussion Forum.  

just happen to have my old order confirmation from Kvar in my top right desk drawer.

I put the US OD green extended length stocks on my SAR1. Part numbers is AKGSL.

Make sure you sign up for their discussion forum, you can get a % off your order.

Check out:
www.k-var.com/search.asp?7=AKGSL&1=Go

Stocks are really easy to put on.

A buddy of mine from another forum has the OD stocks on his Sar1. Here is a pick of his. I need to invest in a digital camera soon. The only problem is I would rather buy more gun stuff. Mine looks just like this:

The lower fore end required one go over with a file. Not very hard to do. If I can do it you can it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Lance - I've ordered a couple of black synth stocks from KVAR.   I think in general these are well made and fit nicely on the SAR-1.  I like that you can get them in the longer length, as I was bruising my cheekbone before with the factory wood.  But they are not without problems...

The first set I purchased went on fine.  I liked the feel, but generally didn't like the hollowness of the synth stock.  The wood felt much better to me - more substantial and solid.  The synth certainly changed the balance, and I'm not sure for the better.  My wood stock SAR-1 though short, feels more substantial.  This is of course personal preference, and in general I don't have anything against plastic rifles (hence my love of my Colt 6400C).

Another issue was that when you order them, none of the holes are tapped.  You have to start them yourselves.  You might be thinking "big deal, I can do that".  This is what I thought initially too.  The issue is that the stock screws that come with these rifles are exceedingly soft, and they are VERY easy to strip.  In trying to remove one I stripped it out, and I wasn't able to remove it.  I ended up ordering another stock set to replace my damaged butt stock.  Not the optimal choice, but felt it was necessary because the screw wasn't coming out, even with with my handy Craftsman screw extractor.

Anyway, for the price its worth considering putting a set on.  My only counsel is to not throw your wood stock away, or better yet consider buy an aftermarket wood set from Ironwood, which goes for the same price!

- Snacko
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I emailed and asked exactly which set I need for my SAR2, in black, the AKBSW is the one they told me to get.  (if that helps you at all)  Just email and ask.  I ordered in the afternoon on the phone, at 4:30ish, and they had it in the mail the same day when I told them I needed it two days later!  Excellent service.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Another issue was that when you order them, none of the holes are tapped.  You have to start them yourselves.  You might be thinking "big deal, I can do that".  This is what I thought initially too.  The issue is that the stock screws that come with these rifles are exceedingly soft, and they are VERY easy to strip.  In trying to remove one I stripped it out, and I wasn't able to remove it.  I ended up ordering another stock set to replace my damaged butt stock.  Not the optimal choice, but felt it was necessary because the screw wasn't coming out, even with with my handy Craftsman screw extractor.

I drilled a pilot hole in the stock to get around this problem, but I can definitely vouch for the low quality stock screws. I think the steel they use is alloyed with lead.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. Here is my WASR-10 hi-cap with green K-VAR stock:

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#11]
What size hole did you drill?

Link Posted: 10/27/2003 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the black set from K-Var...and believe me they can take the heat!!!
I as well predrilled the holes in the buttstock. I used a bit that was slightly smaller than the diameter of the screw's body (this is not counting the threads.
Went on a little tight...but 3000+ rounds later...not a wiggle. And I have taken it off several times and it is still rock solid.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I talked to K-Var on the phone yesterday. They have made new stock screws for the synthetic stocks. Apparently a lot of people were complaining about the screws. They indicate that the new screws are "sharper" so they thread easier, and are made of a more durable material.

I ordered a set in the plum color, and because I'm tall I got the longer "Nato" length stock. The guy I talked to on the phone was a wealth of information and very nice to talk to. I did order some extra screws just in case.

Also of note is that K-Var has the 30 round Bulgarian Waffle mags on sale for $8.83 each. Since I was paying shipping on the stock set anyway......

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What size hole did you drill?

Okay, so nobody knew the answer to this question, not even the K-Var sales staff. So after ordering the stock set and installing it, I can tell you that the correct size drill bit is 5/32". Assuming you use the new and improved screw sold by K-var.

I recommend starting out with a much smaller bit, and working your way up. I also recommend that you watch the depth so you don't drill all the way through the stock.

I got the NATO length stock set in the plum color. Went on my SAR1 with no problems. It looks great. If I had a camera I'd post some pics. The lower handguard is a little loose. Not front to back, but up and down. Anyone else have this problem?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Okay, so nobody knew the answer to this question, not even the K-Var sales staff. So after ordering the stock set and installing it, I can tell you that the correct size drill bit is 5/32". Assuming you use the new and improved screw sold by K-var.

I recommend starting out with a much smaller bit, and working your way up. I also recommend that you watch the depth so you don't drill all the way through the stock.

I got the NATO length stock set in the plum color. Went on my SAR1 with no problems. It looks great. If I had a camera I'd post some pics. The lower handguard is a little loose. Not front to back, but up and down. Anyone else have this problem?

Sorry... I haven't been around...

I just eyeballed a bit that was about the same dia. of the screw shaft. I probably could have used a smaller bit in retrospect, but I have not had any problems.

My handguards are pretty tight.

Every AK is a little different, so I think it just depends on your rifle as to whether the stock and guards are loose, or require fitting.

Cheers,
Chris
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top