Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2003 7:00:26 PM EDT
while viewing a link from this site I attempted to remove the upper handguard. it says to twist the end near the receiver 180* and lift the wood out

I tried pretty good and it wont even budge. any ideas? SAR-1

Gary
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
i just did this, long story. put it this way my sar3 is getting ready for a rebuild. but any way mine spun out pretty easy, just put a wrench on the
end and turned it counter clockwise. should free right up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Dribble a little oil in the grooves and let it sit for a bit...makes it easier. If its not the laminate wood, be careful because they will snap in half sometimes!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
And watch where you have the heel of your hand.

If you get it caught while your turning the cap, you'll KNOW IT!

Don't ask me how I found that out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:04:19 AM EDT
[#4]

I tried everything I can think of and its still a no-go

put it in a vise, nothing
it appears as though it has spot welds on the ring and is solid as a rock

Gary
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#5]
You're not suppose to turn the end with the wrench flats. You're suppose to use the wrench to hold the tube while you turn the handguard itself.

It took me a while to figure that out. It happened more on accedent as I was ready to give up. The handguard did turn, finally, but I did give up and just lightly sand and refinish the handguard while it was still mounted on the tube.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#6]

I am such a retard

the upper handguards rolled right out
thanks for all the excellent replies. damn,I love AR15.com

Gary
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top