Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2003 12:10:54 AM EDT
For about 8 months, I slowly customized my SAR-2 into what it is today.  I'm finally going to shoot her.  Wish me luck!  My dad says it's a "tinie" rifle.  Guess that means cheap junk.  I like her anyway.  I replaced the furniture with black polymer, had the FSB replaced with a threaded FSB.  Now, I'm able to use an AK-74 compensator.  Also, replaced the trigger group with one from Red Star Arms.  Refinished the metal parts myself back in June.  I put a Kobra series 2 red dot site on it too.  She looks really nice now.  Just hope she shoots as good as she looks.

I'll post a range report after I get back.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Where are the pics?
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Where are the pics?

ditto
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been raining so much lately, I haven't been able to go outside to take some good pictures.  I went ahead and took some indoor shots.  They aren't the best, but at least you can see it now.  Also, it was pouring down Friday, so I didn't go out to the range.  I'm going to try again Saturday morning.

Here they are:

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:48:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Tasty!

You may find that when shooting for groups that it is tighter with the brake off. Some of the threaded models vibrate more than others and skew the aim/bbl harmonics. At least some of our samples did when testing 5.45 ammo yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, I gotta get a Kobra eventually. Too little money, too many toys to get.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]

NICE!

KVAR stock ?

Also what kind of sight base is that ??
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

NICE!

KVAR stock ?

Also what kind of sight base is that ??

Yeah, K-VAR furniture.  The sight base is part of the Kobra Gen II sight.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Very nice and attractive gun, what kind of magazines release is that?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a Tactical Release from Red Star Arms.  It works very well and makes magazine changes faster and easier.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice looking rifle there!  I prefer iron sights on my SAR-2, I did put on K-Var stock set (mine in plum).
Your metal finish looks great!  The cheesy parkerize (or paint or whatever) on my rifle is the least satisfying part of my SAR-2.  What did you use, if you don't mind my asking?

BillSP1
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Nice looking rifle there!  I prefer iron sights on my SAR-2, I did put on K-Var stock set (mine in plum).
Your metal finish looks great!  The cheesy parkerize (or paint or whatever) on my rifle is the least satisfying part of my SAR-2.  What did you use, if you don't mind my asking?

BillSP1

Black DH1602 Dupli-Color High Heat(1200°) engine paint.  I degreased all the metal parts with brake cleaner and acetone.  Then sprayed multiple very thin coats of paint.  Heated the parts in the oven at 300° for 2 hours.  If you do it right, you'll get a hard, matte, smooth, even finish.  It doesn't cost much either.  I refinished the Bakelite magazine that came with the rifle the same way.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Looking good! Keep us updated, I've yet to paint a bakelite mag, with the Bulgarian mags being so cheap... but I do like the look of black E. German mags I've seen on the boards. I don't want to bother if durability is a problem.

Is that the extended (K-var) buttstock? The newer Kobra's appear to stand far higher above the receiver than my old first generation model, seems the longer buttstock might be essential for a proper view?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, I use Duplicolor, too.  I don't stick it in the oven, though.  A week in TX heat in the truck does the trick.  Wears like cast iron.

I consider the SAR-2 a great value and a reliable general purpose rifle.  If I was just starting out, it would be my first pick after a .22 rifle.

Jim

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#15]
this might have been asked before
what brake is that and did your SAR2 have a threaded barrel?
let me know
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
this might have been asked before
what brake is that and did your SAR2 have a threaded barrel?
let me know

No, the SAR-2 came with a plain barrel end. I had a gunsmith remove the original front sight block and replace it with a Romanian threaded front sight block. I use a Romanian threaded compensator. I got all the parts from K-VAR.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#17]
do you have a part list on this conversion for the brakes?
is a gunsmith required or can it be done at home
and how tough a conversion is it
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#18]
how do you like the quick mag release?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
do you have a part list on this conversion for the brakes?
is a gunsmith required or can it be done at home
and how tough a conversion is it

I don't remember the particular part numbers needed to get all the right parts.  Post the question and I'm positive someone will be able to give you all the right part number.  I did it last year when I first got my rifle.  K-VAR carries all the parts needed for the conversion.

Whether or not a gunsmith is needed is up to you.  I know many folks on here do most their own work.  I personally didn't feel like I could have done that great of a job, so I had it done by Kurt Wala of Kurt's Kustom Firearms.  Kurt does excellent work and has his own forum here.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
how do you like the quick mag release?

It's great!  Makes mag changes much faster and easier.  It gives you much better leverage.  You use the hand that's on the grip to release the magazine without having to take your hand off the grip.  I ended up using a couple of screws and nuts to hold it on instead of the supplied rivets.  I couldn't get the rivets to hold it on tight enough.  The screws hold it on rock solid.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top