Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2003 7:34:26 AM EDT
Don't wanna steal anyone's thread so I'm posting this separately.  I've read in some posts about bolt / bolt carrier peening after x-thousand rounds.  It seems to be exagerrated when using aftermarket parts where the hammer may be made of harder material.  Anyone have first-hand experiences and suggested cure?  Re work hammer/hammer spring?  Just keep replacing?  Wear limits?  How about running it into the ground and just buying all new?  Somewhere else, someone says he had to replace trigger after it started to double and triple.  What components go into a SAR-1 repair kit>  -2 and -3 may vary.  thanks in advance

MR2
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I asked Marc Krebs about this peening that everyone mentions online. He said peening & even mushrooming of hammers is normal and is not something to get worried about. He said he had a friend that has put 30,000rds through his Romanian SAR1. It may not look pretty but that is how these guns work.

Check out Krebs at: www.krebscustom.com/  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't help thinking that metal can only deform/wear away so much before timing starts to alter and clearances change but, if that happens past 30K rounds, which is about 10 times what I see ever putting on my rifle (I don't get out much), then I have no problem with it.

Also, I didn't buy the SAR-1 or any other firearms other than my Kimber, for its looks. Thanks drobs

MR2
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
My friend has a little over 1k thru his sar1 and it started doubling this weekend. He is installing FSE parts in place of the junk it has now.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#4]
-------------------
hkshooter wrote:

My friend has a little over 1k thru his sar1 and it started doubling this weekend. He is installing FSE parts in place of the junk it has now.
------------------
Whoa!  Just when I was starting to feel comfortable.  Ok, I know, it's all "junk" in there, but doncha think we could get a bit more consistency?

On one hand, we have people who claim the only thing that'll wear out is one's ammo supply.  On the other hand, we have doubling after 1K rounds?

How about a different approach?  Since we all know parts peen (the only difference is whether peening matters, to some it does, to others, not) why don't we simply harden the parts that are in there?  Bolts last longer.  Hammers last longer, etc.  Is this commercially non-feasible?

Seems to me we're solving a metallurgy problem with a parts design (and better metallurgy) solution.  I believe it's more straightforward to tackle the metallurgy if that's what's causing the problem.  Maybe we should even get Century to do this in bulk so it wouldn't even amout to much cost-wise.

'Course y'all may have been through this a thousand times and just throw your hands up in the air and say WTF, I'll just spring for the FSE/PCS/RSA (fill in the blank) part.

Havin' opened Pandora's box so many times in the past, I can smell another one coming.  I should quit while I'm ahead (not peening or doubling at this stage).

Thanks to all.

MR2
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
-------------------
hkshooter wrote:

------------------
Whoa!  Just when I was starting to feel comfortable.  Ok, I know, it's all "junk" in there, but doncha think we could get a bit more consistency?

On one hand, we have people who claim the only thing that'll wear out is one's ammo supply.  On the other hand, we have doubling after 1K rounds?

How about a different approach?  Since we all know parts peen (the only difference is whether peening matters, to some it does, to others, not) why don't we simply harden the parts that are in there?  Bolts last longer.  Hammers last longer, etc.  Is this commercially non-feasible?

Seems to me we're solving a metallurgy problem with a parts design (and better metallurgy) solution.  I believe it's more straightforward to tackle the metallurgy if that's what's causing the problem.  Maybe we should even get Century to do this in bulk so it wouldn't even amout to much cost-wise.

'Course y'all may have been through this a thousand times and just throw your hands up in the air and say WTF, I'll just spring for the FSE/PCS/RSA (fill in the blank) part.

Havin' opened Pandora's box so many times in the past, I can smell another one coming.  I should quit while I'm ahead (not peening or doubling at this stage).

Thanks to all.

MR2

The doubling on an SAR-1 is a result of the crappy US made trigger Century put in as compliance parts, not the AK itself.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#6]
My Sar-1's century fcg lasted about 2700rds, and then the disconnector wore/rounded enough that it would no longer retain the hammer reliably. I replaced that with a Gordon Tech fcg and it has been running smooth 3500rds later. Also my trigger axis pin hole on my receiver has ovaled slightly on both sides, I believe from an incorrectly sized original axis pin (I didn't pay much attention to the gun the first 2000 rds). I put in a larger pin and it has seemed to stop growing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
JT has a good point. Before buying my SAR1, I was trying to get a Cetme. Put money down on one then went home and researched, turns out that century hires apes to perform there gun smithing. The Cetme I put money on had the pin from the muzzle break obscuring the barrel. That gun could've easily become a hand grenade had I shot it.

Pretty scarey!

Link Posted: 7/25/2003 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Didn't want to bash or dump brass.  I continue to believe the SAR-1 is one of the best values for the money, and given the alternatives out there.

Thanks for all the insights.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Didn't want to bash or dump brass.  I continue to believe the SAR-1 is one of the best values for the money, and given the alternatives out there.

Thanks for all the insights.

I agree with you there. Now is the time to pick one up if you don't have one considering further importation has ceased. (At least temporarily) The issues with the triggers can easily be addressed by replacing it with an RSA or FSE trigger group.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I finally shot my SAR-1 last thurs & fri. Put 1,000 rds through it those two days without a single hiccup! More accurate than I thought too.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top