Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/6/2003 7:54:43 AM EDT
Does the SAR1 need any parts replacement after 3K+ rounds?   Mine seems to malfunction occasionally now and I remember my old POS polytech M14 needed a rebuild after 500 or so rounds.   I'm just wondering if it's a common ailment of the cheap import rifles?   My SAR ran perfectly out of the box and ate up 1000 rounds it's first trip out without a hiccup.  Lately I have a malf of some sort about once per hundred or so shots.   I have to wonder if myabe the springs or some other part is worn out?  Maybe I need to polish the lacquer out of the chamber?  It's all been Wolf ammo fired from this rifle.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
There are many kinds of malfs. What is it (not) doing?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It varies, sometimes it fails to strip a round from the mag, sometimes FTE, an occasional stovepipe.   Just doesnt have the reliablilty it showed during the first 2K or so.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Check the gas port, might be getting clogged.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You're on crack...everyone knows AKs never jam.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Scary part is it's my AR that never jams.... hmmm
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:51:06 AM EDT
[#6]
So what type of malfunctions are you having?  What is happening when it jams?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My Armite was doing the same stuff and driving me nuts without boring you with the long story it was short stroking due to a gas leak at the front post.Fixed ,sold and now my Bushmaster is running great.Ar is not an Ak but thats my 2 cents
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#8]
The type of malfs are described above, basically every type except FTF.  I'll try cleaning out the gas port and chamber and see if that cures it.   There was red sealant everywhere in the receiver from the case mouths, maybe that is fouling up the chamber or gas port??
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I have found that it is best to clean the SAR1 every 3000 rounds or so whether it needs it or not.  That said, the answer to your question is NO.  The SAR1 will outlive you.  I'm now about 7 or 8k rounds into mine with no problems at all. Hell, its just getting broken in.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I've cleaned it but not really thoroughly.  I havent spent alot of time scrubbing the chamber or trying to figure out how to clean out the gas port.  Basically the same my AR gets.   A few passes with the brush and patches, basic field stripping with a quick cleaning of bolt and receivers.  Maybe I should take a bit more time being that this shoots lacquered cases exclusively?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've cleaned it but not really thoroughly.  I havent spent alot of time scrubbing the chamber or trying to figure out how to clean out the gas port.  Basically the same my AR gets.   A few passes with the brush and patches, basic field stripping with a quick cleaning of bolt and receivers.  Maybe I should take a bit more time being that this shoots lacquered cases exclusively?

Your rifle is jamming due to a condition called "operator error" if you have run 3k rounds of Russian ammo thorugh it and not cleaned the chamber, well, enough said.

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I hear these guns have a break in period, what kind of shooting are you doing primarily? Bump fire or slow fire?
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#13]
it could also be from "underloaded" ammo I just
shot a case of Romanian 7,62x39 and noticed it
felt weaker than usual? most of it worked fine
but I think they underload the commercial ammo
a little? Chinese military and East German surplus feels "hotter" from my experience.

I was getting a few empty brass jams from not ejecting and some stove pipe jams? it appears to be from underloaded ammo.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I shoot only new ammo. I know you can get killer deals on surplus, but the age and possible malfunctions just ain't worth it to me. I shoot Wolf ammo in my SAR-1 and shoot only S&B ammo in my CZ-52's. NO PROBLEMS!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I gave it a serious scrubbing and dumped 1-200 rounds of Silver Bear through it and she ran fine.  I'd always heard that AKs were meant for the lacquered ammo and would chug right through em.  I guess more thorough cleaning is in order.  
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top