Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/28/2003 12:03:05 AM EDT
Well its offical...I got a confirmation email from Century that SAR rifles will no longer be imported...

DAMIT! They mentioned little reason for them no longer being imported, just "increased cost overseas"...

Current Theories on why:
1. Century and Cugir Arms could not agree on a price, Cugir was asking to much and Century wants to play "hard ball"
2. The Goverment has said they can no longer be imported(source: Joeken)
3. Century has decided to wait till after AWB decision. Since they probably sign a contract to buy the rifles in certain quanties for a certain amount of time they didnt want to overpay for a production run of 2004 rifles that would have to cost extra to make AWB legal

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.................
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a shame.  I wonder if they're only stopping just the SARs or all romanian rifles, such as the Romak 3?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Heh, heh.  Can you say 'European American Armory'?

SOmebody will pick them up.  There is too large a market to not do it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well its official...I got a confirmation email from Century that SAR rifles will no longer be imported...

WOW.  I just got my SAR 1 today.  Paid $320 for it with a 10 and 2 30 rd mags.

You mean to tell me that I might have actually bought something before the price sky rockets.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
glad I got mine a few weeks ago
still haven't shot it though
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh boy... get ready for the parade of Shotgun News ads reading "Banned!" or "We bought the last ones!" or "No more...ever!" in big scary letters.

Ho-hum. Seems like we played this game with Century in '00 when supposedly no more import permits were being processed. Supplies got thin for awhile, just long enough to build up demand. Then "ta-daa!" they're back! Coincidence? I think not.

In the end, either CAI will get smart and continue importation, possibly raising their price to compensate for additional overseas costs, someone else will pick up the SAR line, or a comparable offering will be introduced to fill the void. God bless the free market!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
here's what i like 2 hope:

the importers believe the ban is going to sunset the way it's supposed 2 and they're gonna start importing "ugly ones" (bayo lugz, threads, etc) which will only be worth about the same.  that would mean all the SAR's they imported right up til the last minute would be worth less.  if they stop right now, they'll prolly be able to dump their inventory B4 sunset, then stock up on the "real deal"

i know i wouldn't want to be stuck w/a bunch of "neutered" AK's after sunset.

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The ban sunsetting would have no effect on the evil features found on imported rifles, as the earlier import ban would still apply.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#8]
would the earlier import ban apply if they were equiped with the necessary US parts?

i mean, if they came in with threaded barrels then century put US stock sets, FCG's, and US flash-supressors on 'em, would they they still be banned under the original EO?

they sure make this stuff confusing.

if so, there's goes the optimism i was hangin on to.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The ban sunsetting would have no effect on the evil features found on imported rifles, as the earlier import ban would still apply.  

The 89 import ban has nothing to do with these rifles, it doesn't apply. If the rifle has the required amount of U.S. parts on it, it is not considered an imported rifle. When and not if the ban sunsets, as long as you have the required U.S. parts count you will be able to add flash hiders and bayonet lugs at will.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i mean, if they came in with threaded barrels then century put US stock sets, FCG's, and US flash-supressors on 'em, would they they still be banned under the original EO?

EOs do not apply to civilians.  Executive Orders are instructions to the departments of the Executive Branch as to how they should operate.  They have no force of law and cannot be enforced in a court of law, except as they apply to the executive branch.  Trying to enforce an EO on a civilian will get a prosecuter laughed out of court.

Consequently, there must be legislation passed by Congress and signed into law by the President before there can be any enforcement by an executive branch department or agency.  Unfortunately, many pieces of legislation (most notably, labor and environmental) are written very vaguely and leave it up to the department to come up with the details (someone really ought to come up with a constitutional challenge to this).  But, if there is no legislation, there is no law.  EOs are not law.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top