Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/16/2003 8:45:16 AM EDT
I installed a new SAR-3 hammer, trigger group, and retainer plate Thursday night.  No adjustments were made to any of the settings.  For the most the install went pretty smooth.  I could have used some better pictures of the Shepherd's Crook to help facilitate removal.  I did not know I would have to remove my scope mount to swap out the parts.  A few dry fires after everything was installed immediately informed this was a much needed upgrade.  I took the rifle to range on Saturday to try it.  Just in case anything went wrong, I only loaded 5 rounds in the mag.  The first 3 rounds were fine.  On the fourth, it doubled.  OK, let's try that again and see if it is repeatable.  This time, I loaded 10 rounds.  It went BANG for every pull on the first three.  On the fourth, it went BANG-BANG-BANG.  The next squeeze of the trigger fired the remaining four rounds.  At that point, the SAR3 was quickly put up and I did not want to draw anymore attention.  I would say it was going full auto, but it was a rather slow rate of fire.  I don't think it was slam firing because it stopped when pressure was removed from the trigger.  I believe I have seen one or two postings similiar to mine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like you need to make some adjustments

really,  re-read the instructions and perform a safety and function check with the sear and disconnector engagement surfaces properly lubed.  i say this because i put some JP lead based trigger lube on my rsa sar3 fcg and it slicked it up so much i had to change my single stage setup to a second stage configutration.  it just felt safer to me that way for this particular rifle.  it sounds like your disconnector engagement/ sear timing is off or marginal.  also, make sure to use thread locking compound (blue loctite) on any loose setcrews.  

good luck......
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't wait to try mine out.

maybe saturday.....

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I so want to go shoot my new RSA equipped SAR3.

Darn that havin to go to work!!   Damn!

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking about buying one of those. How much are they and how hard would you say they are to install correctly 1 being easy and 10 being hard as hell. Are you guys talking about the one that runs about $85?  I might have to wait till after college. haha
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouls ay overall it would rate a 3 until you get used to the shepherds hook.  After that, it gets pretty simple.

I would recommend the retainer plate.  Even though I am used to the shepherds hook, the retainer plate still makes it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier.

I had an RSA trigger that did the same thing (three shots in my case) when I had it adjusted to light.  I got the directions out and adjusted it.  The rifle shoots like a dream.
A properly installed and set RSA trigger can not be beat.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
On the fourth, it went BANG-BANG-BANG.  The next squeeze of the trigger fired the remaining four rounds.  

When that happened to me with an RSA FCG, the disconnector was broken into two pieces.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top