Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 8:28:22 PM EDT
I like the look of the AK carbines -- has anyone ever shortened the barrel on an SAR-3?  If so, does the gas system have to be adjusted for proper functioning?  If you cut off a barrel with a cuoff saw, what kind of blade should be used and what would need to be done with the muzzle to keep accuracy from being affected?  Any reason why the FSB couldn't be moved back toward the gas tube?

Thanks

BID
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you have lots of money to pay fines or some free time to go to jail for about 10 years. I would leave the gun alone.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
There are legal ways to shorten a barrel.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not talking about making it an SBR -- I'm talking about shortening it and adding a welded brake so the overall barrel length is 16 inches or longer -- like a Bushmaster Shorty AK with a 14 inch barrel and 2 inch brake.  Fully compliant with Federal law at that point.

The carbine look I am referring to looks like this:
http://www.ak-103.com/pics/ak103klarge.jpg

I'm not asking about legalities, just the mechanics of shortening the barrel.

Thanks.

Bob
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
YOU can add a muzzle break and still be ok with the law.Just make sure you put another american part on it, not counting the break.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top