Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2003 2:26:31 PM EDT
Just picked up a 2002 production SAR-1 (serial # S1-6xxxx-2002) at the Dallas Market Hall funshow today, and I'm very pleased with it.  Price was $323.33 + 8.25% sales tax = $350.00, and included the buttstock cleaning kit, instructions, green nylon sling, three-round test-fire target, 5-rd mag, and two 30-rd mags.

The front sight and gas block were in alignment, and the varnished wood handguards and buttstock were a pretty good match:

Field-stripping was no problem (no stuck takedown lever).  There was a moderate amount of cosmoline, which was quickly removed with acetone.  The bore, bolt carrier and bolt were also cleaned with acetone, and everything was relubed with thin coatings of Break-Free CLP.

I haven't test-fired the rifle yet, but I also picked up 500 rounds of Silver Bear 7.62x39 Match 124 gr. FMJ for $45.00 including tax.  This ammo is non-corrosive, with Berdan primers and zinc-plated steel cases.  I believe the bullets are steel-jacketed with copper wash, as the magnet test was positive.

Including the $7.00 entrance fee, my cost for the day was $402.00, two dollars over my budget.  I managed to avoid buying beef jerky, cheap jewelry, or Beanie Babies  

However, I was sorely tempted by the Global Trades tables, as they had SSR-56s for $494 + tax.  The parkerizing and blonde wood furniture were excellent - fortunately I was out of cash, and I managed to avoid dragging out the VISA card.

I may be able to test-fire tomorrow, and I'll post the results of the test ASAP.  However, I have to use PMC 122 gr. FMJ as the indoor range closest to me doesn't allow steel-jacketed ammo like the Silver Bear.

Side note:  If you're in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I highly recommend the seller, Eric aka "Vorbek" of Military Antiques in Ft. Worth.  I've bought FAL aluminum mags from him before, and he's a straight shooter, well-respected at the FAL Files.  His web site is:

www.oldgunsupply.com/

Sorry for the long-winded report

Gabe
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
From the few SAR-1's that I have seen pics of, it looks like you got yourself a very good one. Be pleased.
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
 Good report.  I would think it quite helpful for those just getting into to this insanity to have a detailed breakdown of what bought and how much.  If your baby shoots as good as she looks you will be braggin' soon.
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like you got a good one.  My 2002 model got refinished as soon as I got it home
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the compliments, now I have to figure out how to dress it up - maybe an FSE Krinkov-type fixed stock?

If there's trigger slap when I test-fire it, I'm going to replace the fire control group with an FSE set.

Shadowblade:

Did you refinish the wood, metal, or both?  What materials and methods did you use?  I have a pint of Norrells' flat black moly resin in the garage, hmmm.

If only I could figure a way to fit the barrelled receiver in the oven - it's too long, even diagonally.
Link Posted: 4/12/2003 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I refinished both.  The cheap way

I forget who posted the original instructions or I would give him credit...

I simply stripped the wood, bleached it, then restained it.  Finished it off with Birchwood Casey Tru-oil.

The metal I cleaned, baked, cleaned again (it fit in my oven...), then painted with a high heat low gloss black paint - then baked again.  Nothing fancy but looks great.
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#6]
No no, leave the stock alone. I'd make it into an AKM Soviet Clone. You need a slant compensator on the muzzle now.

Throw in a Power Custom (Red Star Arms) trigger too. I don't know about the stock. It's always hard to tell from a picture.

By the way, if you have a Russian scope or a friend who has one, make sure the scope rail works. The one on my SAR-2 did not, and it cost be a pretty penny to replace (it had to be re-riveted, etc.).

Refinishing is up to you. You can do what I did and send it to someone for complete refinishing, or you can flat black paint like you have. It's up to you as to how much $$$$ you want to put into the gun.

Did you buy that AK-74 kit yet? If so, you might as well use this as your "beat up" gun, and then pimp up the AK-74.
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
themao:

I ordered the K-VAR AK-74 kit on Friday, and mailed off payment to Ohio Ordnance for their AKS receiver.  Haven't decided yet on the gunsmith.

As you suggested, I think the SAR-1 will be my beater gun, and the AK-74 build will get all the "fancy" stuff - Red Star Arms FCG, FSE Krink-style stock, and refinishing.  I think I'd like it to look like the one on Tantal's front page (thanks for the link.)

tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/

Shadowblade:

I think it was "MRW" who posted his "$25 Wal-Mart SAR-2 Makeover":

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=79&t=53915&page=1
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top