Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2002 1:20:05 PM EDT
most of my mags don't 'click' into place and can fall out while firing....should I file a little bit of the 'lock' with a flat file so it can get a grip on mag ?
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#1]
First off its WASR-10...hehe

Don't file the lock off, instead file the front part of the magazine well(under the look) smooth because century some times forgets to mill it out all the way.

BTW check this page out:
http://linx310.nothingbutguns.com/
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The locking lever doesn't actually engage the mags but did hold a couple mags in place while shooting. Magwell is tight..I will start with front of magwell because it doesn't look like it would help any if the mag was anymore rearward. I'll save filing the lever until after I try this..thanks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]
100 Yards:

I would also look at the rear of the mag well -- the poor milling job to which the others refer centers around the rear edge of the mag well in particular.

Most WASR hi-caps that I've examined/repaired have two sharp, pointed burrs in the receiver sheet metal just to either side of the mag catch housing.  You need to file or Dremel these burrs off.  File them flat with the rest of the rear edge of the mag well.  Then try your mags again, but look very closely at where they contact the mag well opening in the receiver sheet metal.  

Sometimes, I've had to file the rear edge of the receiver sheet metal mag well opening (in front of the mag catch) farther than just removing the burrs.  I recommend filing a bit, trying the mag, and repeating.

Also, three WASRs that I've worked on had mag catches that the engaging surface was cut at an angle.  This is the top edge of the mag catch lever that catches under the magazine tab.  I took a flat needle file and filed off a little of the high side of the top edge of the catch and engagement was much improved.

HTH

Noah
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
The brace tube is definetly rubbing the sides of the mag.I filed by hand for over an hour and had to stop before I threw it out the window. The mag the rifle came with is a touch thinner than other mags so it fits but doesn't actually 'lock' into place.Mabe this could be my excuse to get some sort of dremel tool. I really think it is all in that 'brace tube'.Should the mag actually 'click' into place when the mag is seated properly ?
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top