Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/5/2012 7:16:30 AM EDT
I bought this Wasr from a friend for $300 I didn't expect something good for that price but for now it works great. Last weekend I took it to the range and shoot a little bit to check everything was ok but as I suspected there is something canted. The problem is I don't know if is just the front sight, the front sight post or the entire front  trunnion. I would like to fix the problem but it can be as cheap as a sight tool or probably end up costing more changing the trunnion.

I would really appreciate your help, thanks in advance.
And btw sorry for my english.

http://s8.postimage.org/slr5ntd8l/5g6.jpg
This front sight looks like its high on vodka
http://s10.postimage.org/9y2q8h6hl/7g6.jpg
http://s9.postimage.org/6jp6th7rj/ubv.jpg

And this is what I do at 25 yrds aiming at center mass of the silhouettes and at the center of the other upper left target.
http://s16.postimage.org/dea3k61cl/7ub.jpg
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#1]
get a front sight tool and adjust it to get on target, then shoot at 50y then 100, and if groups are within your point of aim then at least you know your rifle shoots which i think is  most important.  whats the use havine a gun that looks pretty and cant shoot worth a .....  if you think you might loose sleep over it knowing everything looks outa whack, then i suggest selling yur rifle and getting one that dont have the problems you suggest this one has.  but for that price i would not complain knowing it could shoot with some sight adjustments.  purchased my wasr 1063 from jg sales and outa the box did not have to adjust anything
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought an M+M a month ago, and the whole front sight assembly (trunion) was canted to the right slightly.  I was able to compensate with the rear sight, which held me until I got my Midwest Industries scope mount and got the scope on it
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
get a front sight tool and adjust it to get on target, then shoot at 50y then 100, and if groups are within your point of aim then at least you know your rifle shoots which i think is  most important.  whats the use havine a gun that looks pretty and cant shoot worth a .....  if you think you might loose sleep over it knowing everything looks outa whack, then i suggest selling yur rifle and getting one that dont have the problems you suggest this one has.  but for that price i would not complain knowing it could shoot with some sight adjustments.  purchased my wasr 1063 from jg sales and outa the box did not have to adjust anything

I don't want a rifle that looks pretty that's why I bought this one. I like this rifle I'm ok with it. But I would like to fix whatever the problem this one have so I can shoot straight with iron sights. That's why I ask here, because I know there is a lot of people with the right knowledge in this place. I put pictures just in case someone spot the problem on a canted trunnion or the entire front sight. I suspect I just have to adjust the front sight post and the rest of the rifle is ok and NOT canted. But like I said before I'm not an AK expert and I would like hear opinions.

Quoted:
I bought an M+M a month ago, and the whole front sight assembly (trunion) was canted to the right slightly.  I was able to compensate with the rear sight, which held me until I got my Midwest Industries scope mount and got the scope on it

Nice!!! does it holds up well without any wobble?

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want a rifle that looks pretty that's why I bought this one. I like this rifle I'm ok with it. But I would like to fix whatever the problem this one have so I can shoot straight with iron sights. That's why I ask here, because I know there is a lot of people with the right knowledge in this place. I put pictures just in case someone spot the problem on a canted trunnion or the entire front sight. I suspect I just have to adjust the front sight post and the rest of the rifle is ok and NOT canted. But like I said before I'm not an AK expert and I would like hear opinions.

Quoted:

Nice!!! does it holds up well without any wobble?

what wobble your talkin about?

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you are grouping to the left, I think you need to push the post (not the whole tower) to the left using an AK front sight tool (~$9) that pushes the barrel the sight is attached to (sticking out the sides on your second pic)  . It looks like it is already pushed to the right. If it ends up not centered but hitting where you aim, you are good to go. If you run out of travel room, then you need work.

On WASR's, they were built in Romania to take singe stack mags. Century imports them and dremels out the mag well and tacks on metal tabs to accept high cap mags. Some, not all have a little wobble to the mags when inserted. A little play is ok, but you don't want it to have a lot of play. Most AK's have a some.

FInding an AK at $300 is a good deal. WASR's have went up $200 or more in the last 2 years. Hold on to it. It may be worth twice that depending how this election goes!
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#6]

It looks to me like if you move your front sight to the left, you might wind up dead-on.  You might even wind up with the sight pin sitting in the middle.  AK's that are truly canted are often unable to be adjusted enough to even get on paper...

I'm guessing that rifle hasn't been out or fired much - since it still has that gray vinyl boot over the charging handle.  You should save that and not loose it as it's nice to have to prevent any scratches to other guns in your safe.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Since you are grouping to the left, I think you need to push the post (not the whole tower) to the left using an AK front sight tool (~$9) that pushes the barrel the sight is attached to (sticking out the sides on your second pic)  . It looks like it is already pushed to the right. If it ends up not centered but hitting where you aim, you are good to go. If you run out of travel room, then you need work.

On WASR's, they were built in Romania to take singe stack mags. Century imports them and dremels out the mag well and tacks on metal tabs to accept high cap mags. Some, not all have a little wobble to the mags when inserted. A little play is ok, but you don't want it to have a lot of play. Most AK's have a some.

FInding an AK at $300 is a good deal. WASR's have went up $200 or more in the last 2 years. Hold on to it. It may be worth twice that depending how this election goes!

At least my WASR have very little wobble on the mags. That was the first thing I checked so I think from that im good to go

It looks to me like if you move your front sight to the left, you might wind up dead-on.  You might even wind up with the sight pin sitting in the middle.  AK's that are truly canted are often unable to be adjusted enough to even get on paper...

I'm guessing that rifle hasn't been out or fired much - since it still has that gray vinyl boot over the charging handle.  You should save that and not loose it as it's nice to have to prevent any scratches to other guns in your safe.

I don't know why but probably trying to make the picture smaller I inverted it. The post is more to the left. I guess I try moving the drum more to the left until the right side of it is flush with the tower, and rotate the pin until it looks completely parallel with the barrel because it looks a little bit sideways. Like I said before I just would like to hit or group where I aim without the necessity of compensating.

Thanks for the tips les_strat and Snot-Rocket!!
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is pushed pretty far over but hits where I am aiming.

Don't turn the sight post just to make it straight. You may cause it to hit high or low if you do. Raise it by turning it counterclockwise to lower your grouping and vice versa. By your pics you posted, it seems to be at the right elevation for 25m zero.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least my WASR have very little wobble on the mags. That was the first thing I checked so I think from that im good to go

I don't know why but probably trying to make the picture smaller I inverted it. The post is more to the left. I guess I try moving the drum more to the left until the right side of it is flush with the tower, and rotate the pin until it looks completely parallel with the barrel because it looks a little bit sideways. Like I said before I just would like to hit or group where I aim without the necessity of compensating.

Thanks for the tips les_strat and Snot-Rocket!!

my wasr and romy m10 have little mag wobble, but my amd 65 is the worst of the bunch but runs reliable as heck.  so your sayin mag wobble is the first thing you checked and not for canted sights etc... wow oh well

les strt and snot rocket know their stuff, was gonna post the same thing.  you do that and see how it shoots.

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top